iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugaring help needed

Started by Coon, February 26, 2006, 12:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Thanks Fredh.  That is one great site.  Alot of info on the works within sugaring.   ;D ;D
Brad
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Coon

Looks like the sugaring season will be upon us this week.  The forecast is for above 0 degrees Celcius for the next week.  I guess I will be very busy for the weeks to come.  I won't have much time for FF for a few weeks, but I will be on every once in a while to catch up on things I have missed.

Guess I better get it done.  The Boss needs some of the birch syrup I have been talking about.  Will send him a second bottle for auction.

Brad.

DoubleD

8) Way to go Brad let's rockin' smiley_guitarist
Good luck for sugaring
Wannabe a sawmiller

SwampDonkey

Cousin should be sugaring this week, we have warm thaws during the day now and in the upper teens, lower 20's at night.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

I boiled off 30 gals. tonight - It's coming, the hell with the stupid groundhog  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Coon

Started putting everything together and did some tree inspectin today.  Found a few more birch I didn't realize I had.  Heck I will keep findin more the more I look. :o :o :o  May start putting in taps tomorrow if temps are warm enough.
Brad.

Nailhead

Just finished putting out 300 taps. Am waiting for it to RUN 8) Boy, I love this time of year. I've got a 3 x 4 foot pan and can boil off apx 12 gallons a hour, 15 if I pre-heat.
I agree, the hydrometer is the way to go!!
We use it to finish and also have one to check the sugar content of the Sap.
Good luck in sugar-in.
NH
There are a few pictures from last year in my galley
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Fredh

Where are you, Nailhead? 
Here in eastern Ontario it's still a bit cool for the sap to run.  It's supposed to get warmer the end of the week, so most people will be tapped by next week.

Fred.
fred

Coon

Guess I'll get the taps in in time for the sugarin as the temps have dropped again.  All the weather forecasts have been callin fo da warmth but it just twern't happinin dat way.  Oh well, it'll come sooner or l8tr.
Brad. ???

SwampDonkey

Fredh, it's been mid 30's-40 all week and full sun here in NorthWestern New Brunswick. I would think they will be sapping here soon. Rain on friday though.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Weather has been just right for tapping here but man oh man I need someone to shovel me some pathways. :D  Went through a snowbank today that was over waist deep and that wasn't one of the big ones. :o :o  Managed to get in 124 taps today but the sun just won't shine enough for them to start running yet.  The weather man claims that it is going to be a long drawn out spring with cloudy weather forecasted for most of the week.  Gettin awefully sick of dis gloom and doom.
Brad.

SwampDonkey

Been sun here all week and rain for tommorrow.  ;D

Coon

Got finished tapping today.  Got a total of 168 taps in place with hoses going into buckets.  Just waiting now for it to start to run.
Brad.

junkyard

My Son is tapping figures to tap about a hundred. Started yesterday going to gather with the wheeler. Roads all broke about thirty taps in and the wheeler quit. He has been working 30 miles from home when he came back from the woods he got a phone call he is working 120 miles away tomorrow. Started to work this morn and flat tire so he loaded his tools in our spare vehicle.  Just talked to him he got done at 5:30 left home at 5:00 am got to the job and waited 4 hours before somebody came to open the gate. Worked in the rain all day now to drive home in wet clothes 120 miles. He is not happy with his employer. Lots less temper than I had at that age. Any wy he wants to finish tapping tomorrow and the weatherman calls for up to 50 mph winds. Not the time to be in the woods we have a lot of old trees. The lot was pasture when I bought it so not many small trees to tap.
                    Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

SwampDonkey

junkyard, how old are you? A field growing up in sugar maple here wouldn't be ready to tap for 60 years and they wouldn't be very big then. :D :D Struck me funny when I read that line about the pasture in your post. ;)

junkyard

I bought the lot 30 years ago when I was 37. It had been heifer pasture fo years before I got it. Any thing close enough to the ground that the heifers could reach was eaten.  There are a lot of six inche or so maples now but as you said it will be a long time yet till they are big enough to tap.
We use about six gallons a year the rest is sold or given away to family and friends. Basicly a hobby that is a lot of fun for us and all of the company we get. I do a little whittling and seeing the look on a young fellahs face when a ball moves in the cage or a pair of pliers opens is great. even better if it is there first try.
                       Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Thank You Sponsors!