iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lake Superior

Started by dewwood, May 16, 2006, 09:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewwood

We are going to be travelling to northern Minnesota in a few weeks and will be taking the scenic tour around the north side of Lake Superior.  Does anyone have any recommendations for points of interest on the north loop around Lake Superior?  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

sawguy21

All I remember of that trip is a lot of trees and rocks :D It is a very long drive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

Look down at those rocks, pick em up if they're superior agates, copper, cool, neat, shiny, mottled, whatever  8). I wonder why our gas mileage always goes to heck on the way home  :-\

Minnesota_boy

We've enjoyed Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse, Grand Portage and Old Fort William.  Just to the ease of Thunder Bay is a park with the grand canyon of Canada.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bro. Noble

On the eastern end,  there's lots of scenic little lakes that we enjoyed.  There's the Soo of course.  On the western end of the lake there's the stuff that M-boy noted,  but also lots of little waterfalls and little streams that run under the hwy and into the lake.  There's not so many motels and resturants as I would have expected in a vacation area,  but the food we had was excellent and the motels quaint,  but adequate.  The motel operators were very friendly.   We were there before bottled water was common and there is a stretch in the middle where the water wasn't fit to even bathe in,  much less drink.  I guess what really impressed me when we visited there was all the women working on the highway crews :o :o  Most of the men we saw were carrying fishing poles 8) 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bill Johnson

I've never been along the north shore of superior but they tell me the trip from the soo along hwy 17 is pretty spectacular, lots of scenic vistas, hills, and winding roads.  Of course there's a lot of tourist stuff, like the big goose in Wawa and Whinney the Poo in White River and as mentioned earlier the Agawa Canyon around Thunder Bay.

Enjoy.
Bill

UNCLEBUCK

I always asked to go to the north shore around my birthday when I was a kid and had to go to Tom's Logging Camp and then the French River Fish Hatchery and then just look at the Congdon Mansion in Duluth and then also find all the A&W's and dip my corndogs into my big root beer. I can still smell those little cedar trinket jewelry boxes . Never made it out of Tom's without a rubber hatchet with the feathers tied to the handle ! :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Paschale

If I ever take that trip, I'll be stopping in at the North House Folk School in Grand Marais. 

That link will take you to the events that take place there. The seem to focus on teaching and studying the old, traditional way of doing things.  Could be a fun side trip.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

dewwood

Hello from Nipigon, Ontario! :)  We are having a great time and seeing some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet.  Moving on to Thunder Bay and then to Minnesota. 

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Furby

Sounds great!
Have FUN!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Bro. Noble

Dewey,  the scenery continues to be fantastic all the way to Deluth/Superior.  Once you get in Superior,  there is a very interesting ship museum right at Barker's Island.  Barker's Island is a good place to spend the night and look at the fantastic vessles.  Don't look to deep into the origin of that island ;)s
milking and logging and sawing and milking

UNCLEBUCK

Sounds like a good trip dewwood !  Now I have to do a search on Barkers Island and get the lowdown  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

dewwood

An update, we are in Thunder Bay and had a great day yesterday.  We saw the Grand Canyon of the North (Quimet Canyon) and beautiful vistas over Lake Superior at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park.  There was one overlook that hung out over the bluffs with nothing under you, at least that is what it looked like from the safe distance of the solid rock from which I viewed it.  The whole park had some wonderful views of the Bay and Lake Superior. 

We have even viewed the local wildlife and I don't mean the nightlife.  We have seen moose, deer, fox, ruffed grouse and a whole multitude of wild flowers that Marcia loved.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions we have really enjoyed our trip.  We are headed for Grand Marias and possibly Ely today and then on to the Deer River area where my son is located.

Dewey

dewwood

Arrived safely in Deer River and hooked up with our son.  Called barbender and stopped by to see him last night and check out his log home.  He has done a lot of work on it and has a lot to do yet.   We are planning on visiting some of the local attractions of the area that barbender and others have suggested. 

dewwood

Arrived home safely after a great trip.  Had a chance to meet barbender but did not have an opportunity to get together with Minnesota_boy which we had hoped to do.  Maybe next time we will have time to touch bases with him.  It is always great to be on vacation and we had a wonderful time but it is always nice to get back home again.

Dewey

Minnesota_boy

I'm sorry to have missed connectimg with you.  Got a call from a customer and couldn't put him off to another sawyer.   He wanted me to saw for him.   Gotta love customer loyalty. :-\
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!