Sponsors:

New York State's new open burning law

Started by petefrom bearswamp, December 12, 2009, 10:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Hey you new Yorkers,
Have you read the new law?
Just google NYS open burning law.
It is under the jurisdiction of the DEC hence the environmental conservation officers and all other police agencies..
It screws us stationary guys who used to burn slabs.
I did as i couldn't even give them away here.
Of course one could wait for a very foggy or heavy snow day and take their chances.
No open burning allowed of stuff including papers and of course petroleum products.
Campfires are limited to 3' high and 4' long.
What a bunch of hooey.
The only loophole I can see is the possibility of claiming that AG waste is being burned.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Tom

New York.  That's up there close to New Hampshire, isnt it?

James P.

Pete time to figure out how to use those btu's or get a grinder. I wish I had your problem. My dogs would each have there own wood stove.

Onthesauk

Has been around here in Western Washington for a number of years, expanding out to more counties each year.  Grow out of abuse and just the sheer number of new people. 

Bigger issue now is our total burn bans.  For the last 4 days couldn't have a wood stove or fireplace fire unless it was your only source of heat.  EPA driving around writing tickets, ($1,000 a pop.)  But again grows out of more people and folks burning green or wet wood with the damper closed.

Not sure where this all ends.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

stonebroke

It is not a new law.It is DEC inventing new regulations. You can burn ag waste as long as it is organic(no plastics) You could make a strong case that burning slabs  is just disposing of ag waste. It all depends on how bad your local DEC officer is. Also how much you have P.O. your neighbors. Or you could have a "celebratory bonfire" ,those are still legal.

Stonebroke

petefrom bearswamp

Stonebroke, you are right.
The law isn't new just the addendum that restricts my burning slabs.
I re-read the regs and as I read it the ag waste has to be from stuff generated on site.
I doubt that my local judge would allow me to call it a celebratory bonfire and i don't wish to get into a court fight over this.
Nearly all of my raw matl. White pine, Red pine, Norway spruce and hemlock is trucked in.
As far as burning it in my outdoor boiler, I would keep warmer continually stoking the fire than enjoying the heat with my feet up and cold beer in hand as the BTU content of my waste is low.
Another case of over regulation.
I certainly understand the plastic and treated material part though.
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Chris Burchfield

This time of year I'd keep a deer hanging to the side. Summer time, I'd have a hog ready, the burn pit would be made like a large grill. Have a gallon of BBQ sauce ready and in plain view for the inspector.  :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

dgdrls

A portion of DEC 215.3 exceptions

(c) On-site burning of agricultural wastes as part of a valid agricultural operation on contiguous agricultural lands larger than five acres actively devoted to agricultural or horticultural use, provided such waste is actually grown on those lands and such waste is capable of being fully burned within a 24-hour period.

trucked in materials are a nogo. 

DGDRLS

WH_Conley

Pile of ashes, hot dog wrappers, soda and beer cans. Been there done that, oh, witnessess that will say they enjoyed the fellowship.
Bill

stonebroke

Yeah invite your friends and have a hot dog roast.

Stonebroke

sprucebunny

Quote from: Onthesauk on December 12, 2009, 11:24:29 AM

Bigger issue now is our total burn bans.  For the last 4 days couldn't have a wood stove or fireplace fire unless it was your only source of heat. 
Not sure where this all ends.

What is the reason for this ? Is there a high forest fire risk ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WH_Conley

That sounds like a valid question. If I am cold and need heat I am going to have a fire. Either that or 3 hots and a cot. :(
Bill

Onthesauk

A clean air issue.  When we get cold, clear weather, get an inversion layer that holds everything in, smoke and such.  That's why EPA is involved.  Even if you heat only with wood stove, have to burn it hot enough that there is no visable smoke or they ticket.

We're in a rural, logging community, 50 miles from the city.  People have burned wood, (read free wood,) all their lives.  Now on the coldest days of the winter they have to pay for electric, oil or gas heat.  Something wrong with the system.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sdunston

One of the main reasons for this law was to try and stop people from burning house hold garbage. At a 100 bucks a ton to rid of garbage people just can't aford to pay so they burn everything. New York state loves taxes and laws this is just another example of the blind guy that runs this state and all his stupid staff. I dont understand why they just dont pass a law that you need a permit to drive a shopping cart, It would bring in millions, anyone could get one, Also you could put a load limit on the cart and if you went over there would be a fine 8)
Why do I live here? :-[
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

sgschwend

I burn my own slabs in a wood fired boiler.  I use the hot water as my heat source.  Slabs take very little effort to use since they look like very nice split wood. 

If you are try to give the slabs away post them on this forum, or give me your info and I will do it for you:

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Tom

"One of the main reasons for this law was to try and stop people..."

This is the main reason for most all of the laws. When are the American people going to wake up and quit trying to create a Federal, State or City Government whose purpose it is to poke you in a hole. (!)

I'll give you an option.  Try to create a Gov. where the employees will say, "Here, let me help you with that."

sawguy21

DanG near impossible to get a burn permit here. A number of municipalities are also cracking down on OWB furnaces, they must be CSA approved so no home builts. The big issue is air born particulate, inversions trap it at lower levels. A lot of rural residents depend on them as a primary heat source.
Some areas prohibit wood burning appliances but will allow fireplaces in older homes under a grandfather clause. Sure no money in cutting firewood anymore and that is a shame. We would cut firewood and fence posts from the brush pile on logging landings, we made a few bucks and the logging contractor had less waste to dispose of. Can't do it now. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sdunston

Quote from: Tom on December 12, 2009, 11:34:07 PM
" Try to create a Gov. where the employees will say, "Here, let me help you with that."
TOM well said, I think that was the idea our founding fathers had, But they worked for a living :'(
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

campy

Slabs can be laid under fences to keep weeds down.
They rot fairly quickly with the wood side against the earth.
You could

Here in TN, USA we section them into firewood and make a little money selling them to cold people at $20 a trunk load.

zopi

That ought to about pay for the gas to cut 'em up and run the mill...<G>
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Chuck White

Quote from: sprucebunny on December 12, 2009, 06:11:30 PM
What is the reason for this ? Is there a high forest fire risk ?

From what I've heard, the primary reason(s) for the burn ban is to lessen "Global Warming" and "Air Pollution"
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

solidwoods

So many mills around here are closed that farmers are begging for chips.
Get a chipper and sell chips, let it rot and sell compost.
Make a water heater and a kiln, heat your home.
Advertise Free slab fire wood
I heat with wood and couldn't imagine just burning slabs in a bonfire, I use every bit I can get.  Next I want to build a chip burner waterheater.  Run right there smokeless.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

pigman

Quote from: campy on December 13, 2009, 09:01:08 AM

......and make a little money selling them to cold people at $20 a trunk load.
Quote from: zopi on December 13, 2009, 11:14:02 AM
That ought to about pay for the gas to cut 'em up and run the mill...<G>
Have you seen the trunk space in a Smart Car. :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ljmathias

TOM:remember the three classic lies-
-Yes, I'll respect you in the morning.
-The check's in the mail.
-I'm from the government and I'm here to help you...

Course, some lies are more damaging then others, and some just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!