iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Earl

Started by Bro. Noble, September 02, 2010, 10:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Do we have members that are in harms way?  
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

From what I'm hearing and seeing this morning, everyone on the Eastern Seaboard from Maryland northward could be in harm's way.  This storm is very strong and is not behaving in a predictable manner.  I have watched an awful lot of hurricanes and these unpredictable ones are scary because they catch so many people unprepared.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Roxie

The State of Maryland has declared a state of emergency and folks have been told to get their boats out of the water.  Since I'm within a mile of the Maryland border, I've been getting a bit upset that no one in this area is discussing even the possibility this storm could hit the Chesapeake and walk right up.  I'm not comforted by their projections because they've been so wrong in the past. 

I'm spending the day putting lawn chairs and toys in the garage.  Wheeled the trash containers in the garage too.  All the while, the weather forecast for tomorrow and Saturday is sunshine and winds of 5-10 mph.  Common sense tells me that to ignore the fact that this thing is packing 140 mph winds (and no one can say with any certainity where it might hit) is foolish.  I've talked with folks who are planning on going to the beach for the long weekend!   :o
Say when

beenthere

This accuweather has it staying off the coast pretty much.
But look out Swampdonkey

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/36541/earl-to-rip-across-nova-scotia.asp
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

The track I saw shows the edge influencing the coast of maine. My ex-H works on a boat at Mt. Desert Island in the summer. The boat is out and the local gas docks are being pulled out. Plenty of other boats coming out.  Other boats are seeking shelter in coves.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Roxie

The evening weather report changed our forecast tomorrow to rain with winds 20-25 mph. 

At least that forecast makes some sense.  If the hurricane is 200 miles across and is going to be within 150 miles offshore it stands to reason that we'll be getting a piece of it. 

Usually the only thing this area gets are the remnants as they get downgraded to tropical storms and depressions.  Having seen what the remnants can do, I sure don't ever want to witness the real thing. 
Say when

submarinesailor

Quote from: Roxie on September 02, 2010, 07:04:04 PM
Having seen what the remnants can do, I sure don't ever want to witness the real thing.

Roxie,

I spend 18.5 years of my 20 year Navy career on the east coast.  So, I have been in and around hurricanes (on shore, on the surface and under the water) for most of my adult life.  Take my word for it, you don't want see the real thing close up and personal.  One of the worst places to be is in a round bottom submarine on the surface during a big one.  Not fun at all. ::) :o ::) :o ::) :o

Bruce

Tom

Least you had an option. You could take'er down and git outa Dodge.

When my Tin Can went under, it kept popping back up.  :-\

Dan_Shade

I moved my saw over to a friend's house without as much tree cover.  I have more junk laying around than I should, but I'm taking my channel.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

We'll be fine up where I am, but Yarmouth and Halifax, Nova Scotia may not fair too well in that wind. We'll probably get more rain off the cold front coming from the Lakes. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

They're only talking clouds and wind for us.  Seems like a cold front is coming through and that will keep Earl out of the area.  Its also to cool down about 20°. 

We could really use the rain.  The corn has given up.  I saw that last month in Delaware.  Stunted corn that had turned brown. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Tom on September 02, 2010, 07:39:22 PM
Least you had an option. You could take'er down and git outa Dodge.

When my Tin Can went under, it kept popping back up.  :-\

Been there .....done that... got the t-shirt  and have pictures to prove it.     I'll have to dig out the 1975 photo of the Fram II I was on.  An arial shot of us "diving".  Something a destroyer is not supposed to do.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR_Buck

Kevin and Tammy at Logrite are in the path.  My son is in Groton.  This is his facebook posting on his preps"

"David has 15 gallons of gas for the generator, three gallons of fresh water, a cupboard full of microwavable food, flashlights and candles, and lives on a hill. Bring it, Earl."

RSteiner

The weather forcasters are saying the storm may give the southeast corner of New Hampshire a couple inches of rain and the north country might not get anything.            We really need the rain.  

A framer friend has already started chopping his corn about a month early because it is so dry.  The rivers are lower than I can remember seeing them.

Where ever the storm goes ashore I can't help but think of that television program, hello, my name is Earl.  I hope everyone is spared of any serious damage.

Randy
Randy

Dan_Shade

a hurricane prep tip from a few of my friends from Puerto Rico is to fill up your washing mashine with water.  It could be a bit soapy, but it definately will give you water for personal sanitation needs. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LeeB

Three gallons isn't nearly enough. Fill every available container including bath tubs. A week or so with out utilities will make you realize what we take for granted. Might want to stock upon more gas too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

We're getting rain!   :)  These clouds are different than regular clouds too.  They are not visible and are more like a blanket with complete coverage.  The sky is an even gray from horizon to horizon. 

Say when

scsmith42

Fortunately all of the weather missed us (SW of Raleigh).  I think that FF member Ivey Pridgen probably got some rain out of it though.  He's in Burgaw, NC, which isn't that far from the coast.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

Just another cautionary tip from an old hurricane vet:  Y'all move your vehicles and other valuables away from trees if possible, even if you're only expecting some fringe winds.  A tree blown over by a 30mph wind hits just as hard as one blown over by a 140mph wind.  Tornadoes are very common in and around these storms too, and they usually account for much of the damage.  Just don't get too bold!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

Quote from: LeeB on September 03, 2010, 09:28:50 AM
Three gallons isn't nearly enough. Fill every available container including bath tubs. A week or so with out utilities will make you realize what we take for granted. Might want to stock upon more gas too.

I agree with Lee.  Make sure he stores up a lot more potable water than that.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Warbird on September 03, 2010, 11:30:05 AM
Quote from: LeeB on September 03, 2010, 09:28:50 AM

I agree with Lee.  Make sure he stores up a lot more potable water than that.

We talked to him early this morning.  What he meant was 3 gal of bottled drinking water.  The tub and other things are also filled with fresh water.   15 gal of gas for a residential home is a lot of gas to keep on hand from a safety aspect.   That much will power a microwave a long time.   Having grown up here at the farm, he is well aware of load sharing and power management.  The generator will only be used intermittently as needed.  I'm sure the leftover gas will end up in the car.

StephenRice

I pray you guys are all safe and sound up there and just get the rain that you need.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Hilltop366

It looks like the center of Earl is going to go by about 20 to 30 miles to the west of me on saturday morning, Its been down graded to cat one / tropical storm size, We get 50-70 mph winds several times a year (usually in the winter) so hopefully it wont be too bad.

Cleaned up the yard, tied down the trampoline to a dump cart with a yard of gravel in it on one side, 6' cultivator  and logging winch on other sides, that should hold'er.

Got a 45 gallon drum and a few garbage cans full of water for house hold use, drinking water and some diesel fuel for the tractor to push the driveway back up the hill.

Nothing to do but wait.

RynSmith

Quote from: Hilltop366 on September 03, 2010, 09:08:43 PM
for the tractor to push the driveway back up the hill.

:D  :D  :D  :D

bd354

Yep, tornadoes killed four people in this county during the last hurricane that blasted through here. We were on the east side of the hurricane which is usually the strongest when it comes in off the gulf. Also try to keep cars and other equipment away from power lines. They come down with the trees.

Thank You Sponsors!