iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric clutch

Started by 250quality, September 02, 2011, 04:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

250quality

I'm thinking it would be real handy to have an electric clutch on my mill versus the old hand lever hooked to an idler pulley deal. Although it works it is slow to operate and low tech.
Problem is I have a triple pulley on the engine that runs 2 drive belts to the blade and 1 to the hydraulic pump that needs to be live all the time.
Is this possible to rig up?
Pics to follow.
Thanks

beenthere

How about a hyd. cylinder to replace the hand lever? Access to the control for either hyd. or elec clutch would enter into the solution.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coon

What make and model of a mill are we talking about here?  Do you has any pictures of your mill you could share?  We love pics?  ;D   

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Bill Gaiche

Could you add a single V pulley inside the electric setup? bg

shelbycharger400

i have a 4 in electric clutch on the mill im building.  single grove , duals are around but rare , what im refering to is the small engine stuff/lawnmower stuff in the 8 to 18 hp range

250quality

I did find some of those online but only singles. Lawnmowers have them quite often.
Can't seem to upload any pics to help have a look.
Not sure why it won't work.
Guesss I'll have to get my 7 year old daughter to do it.
Thanks

250quality

Managed to get some pics into my album but can't seem to upload them here.
Sorry folks but will figure it out.

paul case

if they are in your album, to upload them in a post, open the reply window. click on ''upload or insert photo'' at the bottom left corner. go to '' my gallery'' . select photo. scroll down till you see a green line that says  ''copy this photo to your reply or post '' or something like that. that line is always green on mine. click on it. then click yes and you will have it.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

250quality

250quality

ljmathias

250quality: please, please, no more pictures!  Your stickered stack is too perfect and puts mine to such shame that I'll have to just go out and burn mine to ease the pain... oh, right, can't cause tropical storm Lee is giving us no break in the rain, steady down pour all day.

Have to admire a person who can make such picture-perfect stacks, but I certainly don't have to like it!   :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Bill Gaiche

After seeing what you have I also believe that a small Hyd. cylinder added would be the best way to engauge your blade. bg

250quality

Honestly ljmathias I wish I could take credit for those purdy piles of red oak but can't do it.
See the piling jig in the pic? Well I made that for my 3 daughters age 7,11 and 14. I saw a bunch at the mill then move it to the shop with the tractor and forks and they sort, scrape sawdust, sweep and pile it.
Aways new some day they would be good for something.
Also they just finished piling firewood for the year and there at 33 bush cord.
Start em young!!

bruce29

I just installed a 3 groove electric clutch on my mill that I am building. It is a 1 7/16 shaft 3 groove with brake.

250quality

I need one to be live all the time for my pump.

shelbycharger400

just wire it up to a toggle switch,    just remember,  current flowing constanly through a coil, creates heat.   heat breaks down the varnish insulation

John Mc

Quote from: 250quality on September 05, 2011, 07:39:10 AM
I need one to be live all the time for my pump.

Do you have a long enough shaft to put on one fixed pulley first, then mount a clutch with a two groove pulley outside that?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!