iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Michigan, Fire, and Lightning

Started by Jeff, January 09, 2001, 05:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Brad asks this very timely question considering the events that took place in the states to our west last year:

How much Michigan forest land is destroyed each year by fire, and does lightening start most forest fires?

Brad

test
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

As of Nov 15 2000

In one of the worst fire seasons in 50 years, the National Interagency Fire Center reports that the nations year-to-date acres burned has exceeded 6.89 million acres. A result of poor federal fire policy, pressure by environmental preservationists and an extended period of drought, as of October 6, the total number of fires on public lands has surpassed 82,200. Year-to-date totals are as follows:

Forest Service Fires: 10,871 Acres: 2,205,398
BIA Fires: 4,378 Acres: 318,89
BLM Fires: 3,436 Acres: 1,670,334
FWS Fires: 260 Acres: 371,392
NPS Fires: 493 Acres: 103,758
State/Other Fires: 62,853 Acres: 2,226,593

Michigan was no exception either. So far this year, 568 fires have destroyed over 9,669 acres of forest.As a response to this year's excessive fire season, some environmental groups are rethinking their stance on forest management. In a recent AP article, Executive Director of Forest Guardians, Rex Wahl states, "Wildfires are getting bigger, burning hotter, and the effects are more devastating." He continues, "Judicious cutting of smaller trees is what's needed."

Does anybody have any stats or information on lightning and forest fire?

Ron Scott

The USDA-Forest Service and Michigan DNR web pages or their local area offices should have that information for National Forest system lands and State of Michigan Forest lands. Most wildfires are usually man caused.
~Ron

Jeff

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!