iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toe Board Rollers

Started by red pine, December 03, 2011, 10:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvT

Had a bit of trouble with the old 4430 a couple of years ago.  Wacky steering which was a bit hard to diagnose.  I paid a couple of mechanics to try to figure it out for me which cost a couple of hundred dollars and the parts were about 50 bucks... that was the biggest problem I had with that old girl in the 10 years I have had it ( other than a front wheel rim)   And no I do not farm a huge acreage with it but I do use it for a few weeks evey summer........ oh and I had smoked Mussels on toast for supper
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Peter Drouin

AvT nice looking land :) and my WM toe board Rollers work good too  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

petefrom bearswamp

Looks like this thread has gotten a little off subject but interesting.
My toe board rollers work good most of the rime except for knotty stuff, then I flatten like Bibbyman
but push by the armstrong method..
My tractors were  a 49 ac wd45 from 1974 till 1994 then a 1966 JD 4020  till 2007 now a new shiny Kubota 8540 w/ Farmi and FEL bucket and forks.
The weak part of the 4020 was the front spindles as my tendency to overload the forks caused 4 to break.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Back to red pine's original problem/question.  While I do occasionally use the rollers and also posted my method for using the sawmill's hydraulics to move a log, the most labor saving idea is to load the log properly to begin with.  With an improperly loaded log it is sometimes far easier to unload it, skid it on the ground a few inches one way or the other, and then reload it.  Sometimes with a very knotty log that will not pass over the rollers, it is the only way.

Also, many times you can shift a log 6"-8" by just rolling it on the deck from the side supports to the loader and then back to the side supports.

What I am saying is that using your brain is far easier than busting your butt sometimes.  Especially as your butt gets older.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!