iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toasted piston!(photo)

Started by T Welsh, December 04, 2011, 08:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

My brother called me yesterday and said he started his saw and ran a whole tank through it and refilled it and now it wont start >:( He dropped it off at the house and I got to look at it this morning! It seized! old 09 stihl,I have 3 parts saw,s that I should be able to get him back up again and running! I,ll have to talk to him and ask him if he put straight gas in it or mixed? I know my brother :D Tim

Ironwood

I had several of those 09's they were durable (heavy, but durable). I used them in cutting rustic furniture saplings, and black willow for bent willow furniture, threw it down to the ground constantly to no damage (hot summer cutting, too exhausted to "set" it down).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Al_Smith

Oh believe me it can happen .

Last   spring I had a brain fart and  toasted a Mac 805 I had just refurburished and only with just a shot of gas out of a squeeze bottle .Sad day indeed . :(

Another time I gassed up a weedwacker and it ran about 30 seconds ,died on the vine but not stuck .It was only about a week later as I was dumping anti freeze in my old Ford f-250 and smelled gas that I figured what I'd done .

Didn't hurt the  weedwacker just a litle bit embarrising for somebody that's supposed to know better than store saw gas in an old anti freeze  jug .Dumb is as dumb does .

T Welsh

Well I got to talk to my brother today and I was a good little brother too! I politely asked him what happen? he said it just stopped after about 20 seconds after I put gas in it,I asked was it mixed,well there was a long pause and he said I think so!he asked what wrong with it,I told him it was seized, he said no! I said yes!then he had to go somewhere and said I,ll call you later and let you know weather it was mixed or not :D lets see if he ponies up to it 8). I,ll get a picture of it later this week. Tim

islandlogger

I had/have a Stihl 09 that is used on little projects here and there or if I had to nip up a tree for sumthing, only thing was it started dyin and chokin out every time I turned it horizontal, right side up run like a champ, turn it and splutter putt puff, I tinkered n tinkered to no prevail, sent it in to the saw shop, they swore they fixed it....same prob.....so I tinkered n tinkered and splutter putt puff, I got so mad at it once I chucked it far as I could into the brush on a job site (it was a hot tempered day) I did go back and fetch it up a few days later n it started right up and then....splutter putt puff
Now whats THAT all about??

islandlogger

T Welsh

islandlogger,Back in the day we used them for hand saws in the tree business had at least 4 of them,everyone liked them because of the top handle. they where a little under powered but got the job done. I am still waiting for a phone call from my brother :D Tim

T Welsh

Well I finally got around to tearing the 09 down and sure enough its toasted

Had another spare laying in the cabinet and threw it back together and dumped the gas(yes!!! it was straight gas) filled it with fresh gas and she fired up and it good to go 8)
I still havent talked to my brother about the mistake he made,but I will tonight when I call him and tell him his saw is done :D He is going to get on heck of a bill(case of cold green bottles) will do just fine! Tim

AdkStihl

Ouch....thats gonna leave a mark..
wait.....it already did  :D
J.Miller Photography

T Welsh

AdkStihl, Just a little smooch :D I fried one on a 064 about 6 months ago,  Ran it easy for one tank to break it in. started it back up and let er rip 8) after a couple of cuts at full tilt she started slowing down and I left off the gas and thats all she wrote! I had to beat the piston out of the cylinder through the spark plug hole with a wood dowel. lots of melted metal on that one :o Tim

shelbycharger400

still have a Stihl 09 ... i fixed a carb on one last year, if its dies tip'd on the side..check to see if it still has the weighted filter on it

ianw

i had ms 310 that has the same damage i was going to replace the parts but decided just to buy a new saw

T Welsh

ianw, That one,s nothing compared to the 064 I burnt down about 3 months before this one,I,ll get ya a picture of that one later! we run a lot of saw,s and all of the sudden some one burns one up! the cause is usually old age with the intake boot cracking and it get,s lean and there she goes. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!