iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norway Spruce

Started by chipperwam, February 03, 2012, 02:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipperwam

I got an LT-15 this last spring for my own use and the first thing my dad did was find 75 norway spruce trees.  All where an average of 2 feet in dia. some smaller some bigger.  There is a pic of one of them on wood-mizers board under Can a bigger log go on an lt-15.  All we had to do was take them down and we could have them.  We have them all cut down now and I have a few questions.

1. I do not have that much room to store lumber right now and am wondering how long I can let the logs lay before sawing them?  They are all off the ground. 

2.  I want to build a shed and garage from these and was wondering if it will be worth sawing up or find something better.  Will I have to kiln dry and if not how long should I let them sit before building with the lumber?

3. The shed I would like to build would be timber frame on the bottom and open on one side, with an enclosed shop space above.  Basically a shop on stilts. I would like to stack firewood in the bottom for my outside boiler.  It will be some where around 12'x30'.  How big should I make the bottom timbers assuming that norway spruce would be okay for this.  I made a model in google sketchup but am not sure if it will load.

Anyway I am kind of new at this and value any oppinions there might be.  I hate to jump into something to fast.  I like to have everyting strait in my head before I do it.

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the forum.

You've asked some good questions.

Quote1)how long I can let the logs lay before sawing them?
Until the bugs are out. Once the bugs are out they will go after your logs and lay eggs in them. The eggs hatch to worms and the worms each your wood making holes. De-bark them and you could reduce the risk of the worms.

Quote2)how long should I let them sit before building with the lumber?

If it is going to be an unheated shed or garage you can build with them green. Even if it is heated you can still build with them green. No kiln that I know of is going to dry timbers.

Quote3) How big should I make the bottom timbers assuming that norway spruce would be okay for this?

Each frame design has to be reviewed or looked at based on it's size and location. Your snow load for your area will have a lot to do with it. I can't just say "X" size is right. You need to figure out everything in order to say what size is right.

You can post your sketchup model in the plan section and we can take a look at it for you.

Also, in that section, I did a plan review showing how to figure out some of the sizes and spacing for dukndog and you can read that and see how it's done.

Good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!