iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norway Spruce Lot

Started by dirtmod454, March 25, 2012, 11:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtmod454

I recently looked at a small pure stand of Norway Spruce. The land owner wants it clear cut to open up his property. I took a quick look at it and found that there will be somewheres between 150 and 200 trees to cut. Rangeing from 6"dbh up to 18" dbh. I would say the average tree will be about a 9" or 10" diameter. Most of the trees are very straight. I roughly figured about 16,000 BF. My question is what type of markets are currently buying norway spruce and what are the going rates for such markets. I am loacted in NY state near albany. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

beenthere

You are thinking they will saw out 80 - 100 bf per tree? 

Do you have any pallet markets that might take the spruce?

Is the landowner going to pay you to take the trees? or do you need to recover your expenses by selling the wood?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treetech

I think I read somewhere that Norway Spruce may not pass the grade for construction lumber. Something to do with the fast growth rate. But this was some time ago and in Canada, but you may want to check just in case.

barbender

I know our local paper mill makes no distinction between white and black spruce pulp, maybe check your paper mills.
Too many irons in the fire

Abe Thompson

If you have straight Norway Spruce you are lucky.My experience with Norway spruce is limited but a stand I planted a number of years ago while silviculture contracting is a real mess. They are subject to damage from the white pine shoot moth which kills the leader and the the lateral branchs take over and those in turn are infected. Drove past the stand today and it looks terrible just a mass of limbs.

For awhile the govt up here was promoting that species but not now to the best of my knowledge.

SwampDonkey

We plant some here on private land. I know of quite  few acres I was involved with as a silviculture manager for the marketing board and many have been planted since. They'll take Norway to my knowledge for any spruce market that allows white spruce. Some processes use only black spruce for stuff like I beams. It's a lot tougher/stronger spruce. Red spruce, same. With a brush saw, red spruce is harder to cut than aspen or birch. I can make one cut in a 4" birch, but not a red spruce.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nsmike

I did some poking around on line, apparently the NELMA has grade rules for norway spruce, so it's acceptable for lumber. I can't see it being weaker than balsam fir so I would guess it fits into SPF.

adirondack harvester

I can send you a contact for a buyer that may be interested.

dirtmod454

No pallet markets currently in the area.  I was hoping to do the job at no cost to the landowner and re-coupe my expenses and profit moving the wood. I checked a few buyers locally and sounds like they are paying about $250 to $300 per mbf. Adirondack harvester,  I am still checking around and would appreciate the information for a possible buyer. My email is dirtmod454@yahoo.com. Thanks!

adirondack harvester

Thank You Sponsors!