iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Loss of the American Hermit

Started by AfraidChocker, March 04, 2016, 01:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Shirley

As Magicman said a Hermit is not homeless, he simply lives alone away from the rest. Since I retired 4 years ago, I have spent 50 to 60% of my time at my old farm house that belonged to my great grand parents. It is a simple 675 square foot, Jenny Lind style house, wood heat. No running water until 2011.  Located 2 mile out, at end of a dead end road,very peaceful.   
            I raise a garden, a field corn patch, and patch of sugarcane for sorghum have 20 or so chickens, a couple pigs for slaughter, and recently bought my Norwood mill. Presently building saw shed for it. All of this keeps me busy and active.
            I have in the winter months, not left the holler for 10 to 12 days. My wife usually comes by and feeds me every few days. I jokingly tell people I go home once a month to service her.     
           During winter months, I think I am what would be classified as a hermit. Summer time I'm there a lot, but have too many other thing to keep busy with, like mowing grass at four different places and my favorite summer time and fall activities. Motorcycle riding and traveling with the wife.                                                                                                                       
Norwood HD36, Stihl 025, 291, 362. New Holland TN75 4WD with loader, Agco ST35 4WD, Poloras Ranger 700, 2 Honda 450 Foremen 4WD

Ljohnsaw

Upon reflecting, I might have hermit tendencies.  I lost my wife (the love of my life) 6 years ago.  If it was not for my son (6 at he time), I might have moved out of town.  I say in town because of the good schools and I can't afford to sell my house - buying something smaller, I'd pay more in taxes :-\  So once he is off to college, I can see spending a lot of time at my soon-to-be cabin.  Lots of fishing to be done up there! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

47sawdust

Last night I looked up Wendell Beckwith.He was a very interesting man.Check him out.Definitely a hermit.Walked away from wife and family but only after setting up a trust for them.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

scgargoyle

I've always considered someone to be a hermit when they avoid other people, their living conditions aside. There are a lot of terms for different kinds of folks- hermit, vagrant, hobo, bum, trump, homeless. When I was a kid, every town seemed to have a 'hobo jungle' somewhere out in the woods. Most of them were considered fairly harmless. Now days, many homeless have serious drug problems, and theft and drug dealing is their way of life- anything but harmless.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

red

There are plenty of Family's living paycheck to paycheck . Most are just two paychecks away from loosing the roof over their head . Be thankful it is not you .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

square1

Remnants of the last hermit shack in the county.  I'm not sure exactly when, or for what reason he moved on but I'm betting he never saw a dime of the money his property over looking the river sold for.  The McMansion that now has his view from the bluff overlooking the river looks pricey.

Mooseherder

Thank You Sponsors!