iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rotting and infested wood pile

Started by Keneke, October 27, 2016, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keneke

We bought our house last month and it came with a few outdoor problems (too many in my opinion) but we wanted to learn as we go, so that's what we are doing... One of the more interesting problems was a wood pile (little over half a cord) that is sitting next to the tree line in the front yard alongside the driveway. It was obvious that it had been there for a while and is rotting, but when we finally got around to getting up close and personal with it, we noticed saw dust (like termites leave) so we asked a few people and were told that we should burn it in a fire pit out back. We haven't gotten around to it yet, but the other day my daughter wanted to explore the woods around that area and we found that it's not only the wood pile, we also have felled trees and branches that are infected littering from what I have seen, about a half an acre of our forrest. I'm worried about what will happen to a new wood pile I start along with the trees that are good and established. Does anyone know a good remedy for our predicament? Or do I just burn everything I find one piece at a time for the next few years?

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Keneke!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

Just my opinion here so take it for what you paid for it. I would burn the stacked wood if it will burn and any concentrations of downed wood near the house and let the rest rot naturally. There will always be downfall.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Weekend_Sawyer

That's just ma nature doin what she does.

Welcome abord!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

jdonovan

If you build a pile of termite food, the termites will find it and eat, its what they do.

If you want to discourage them, you need to get the pile a foot or so off the ground.

Keneke

Thanks for the input guys! I guess I'll be burning everything I can and in the meantime try to make a trap. And when I do get firewood, I will make sure to keep it elevated (:

Autocar

Sounds to me you have power post beetles just a little bug that eats dead wood and leaves a little pile of dust where ever he lives.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!