iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting into the Forestry Industry

Started by BigKnob896, January 11, 2017, 08:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigKnob896

Hello Everyone!
My name is Shawn and I live in Michigan where there seems to be not a whole lot of work here in forestry (someone please correct me if I am wrong) and I am trying to begin a career in this field and would like some tips on how to get into the field and where would be the regions in the country to work in.
Thank You for your time.

WV Sawmiller

Welcome to the FF. What is your background, education and experience? What appeals to you about a forestry career? Are you talking about growing trees? Cruising timber? Cutting trees and logging? Sawing logs into lumber or chipping for pulp? How good are you with mechanical building and repairing equipment? All these aspects require different but overlapping skills and training. I think you need to fine tune your goals a little then get the training and/or education to achieve that goal. Most outdoor careers are ones people who like the outdoors love but they are not necessarily big wage earners. A common statement I have seen here on this forum is the best way to make a million dollars in the forestry industry is to start with two million.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

BigKnob896

I am looking into cutting timber and mill work, I don't have much in the way of experience but I have worked for a tree removal service for a couple months. What draws me to this career field is the desire to work outdoors and work with my hands. Also what kind of training would I need for logging? Also that quote is great.

Ron Wenrich

There's a couple of ways to go about it.  Quite often milling or logging is in there family.  Those folks usually have a good bit of experience by helping out in the family business.  Skills they develop are equipment maintenance, safe felling techniques, safe equipment operations, log bucking, markets, and many others.  If you don't have that background to rely on, then you have a few other options.

You could go and get an associate degree in forestry.  Usually that involves logging, timber cruising, forest management, and you can even get into equipment maintenance and some business management.  I know several guys that went this route and became very good and highly professional loggers.  You would have to search out which school meets your expectations, so search around. 

If you want to get straight into it, you'll have to find a crew that will take you on and show you the ropes.  Most small crews aren't set up to do that unless you can bring some experience with it.  If you can run equipment, or good at cutting trees, then you might do okay. 

Mills are not as tough to get into.  They are always looking for mill hands.  I did that during the summer while I was in college.  After I graduated, mills were about the only place I could get jobs.  Even with a college degree, I started as a mill hand.  If you apply yourself, you can learn the ropes of the business pretty quick.  But, to get into sawing, edging or any management often requires an expanding company or someone ready to retire.  You may find someone that will sponsor you to learn how to grade lumber.  It's a 6 month course in TN, but you're certified.

So, if you don't want to go the education route, get a list of loggers and mills from the state forestry dept.  Then go knock on some doors and sell yourself.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

BigKnob896

Where can I find the program in TN? Sounds like something I would be interested in

Ron Wenrich

http://www.nhla.com/  Look around the site.  If you think you'd be interested, give them a call. 

Training information at:  http://www.nhla.com/welcome
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!