iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old WM Drag Sharpener /Resurrection

Started by Mt406, January 23, 2018, 12:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

I have 2 old WM drag type sharpeners I want to resurrect one.
Feed motor works the drive motor on stone dose not.
Any one know  the Leeson motor Mod #   the tag on this one is faded.
Or a AC motor I could convert to.
I searched old threads and could find were some have coveted to AC but they didn't list what motor they used.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

pineywoods

MT, there is a relay in the control box that provides 12 volts to the wheel motor. Your motor may be ok. I put a larger 110 volt ac motor on mine. Two problems with that.. Motor needs to be 3600 rpm, and finding one that will physically fit in place. I used a junk box motor that came off a hospital patient lift, no markings. I highly recommend the bigger motor...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Darrel

I like pineywoods suggestion but when the sun comes up, I'll look on my sharpener and see if I can find the info. A call to Wood-Mizer may also get you the info you need.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Mt406

Piney
The motor is good, is the relay the little black cube in the control box. I was thinking of just wire around it.
Switch with a fuse.
The power supply was bad but a had a spare.
Now I will have to did assemble and clean.
Looks like a new bushing on the push arm is needed.
We will how it go's.

Thanks
Scott

Mt406

I have it up and running.
Dose anyone still make cams for these sharpeners.
I have 4 cams but most the blade pusher pin is wore bad and have no number so I don't know what blade they are for.
Also I could use the motor model number mine is faded out.

Thanks for any info.

Scott 

chet

The pin in the push arm is just a standard sized hardened roll pin. It can be pressed out and a new one installed. You must suport or clamp the push arm fingers when doing this to keep from having them spread or break.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Mt406

I see my description of the part was off.
Its the 1/2 rod that comes off the side of the cam.
who ever owned this before me ran with out lube til the bushing was gone and that pin was egg shaped.

Thank You Sponsors!