iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edger horsepower?

Started by woodhick, April 02, 2007, 06:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I have an old Belsaw twin blade edger that I want to fix up.  What would be the minimum horsepower requirement?  I can go up to 10 hp electric right now with my phase converter.  Haven't decided whether to go gas or electric yet.  I am thinking it would take at least 16hp gas.  Any suggestions from someone who has an edger.   This edger has two 12" insert profile blades and cutting would be 1" and 2" mixed hardwoods.   Thanks.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Kevin_H.

Woodhick, we are running a old "802"  It has a 10 hp single ph motor, and we are running 3 blades. Most of what we run threw is only 1/2" and we have no problems, When we move up to 1 1/8" it really makes it work. But again that is with 3 blades.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Corley5

I run my three blade edger with an H Farmall souped up to 30hp.  In one inch lumber it's overkill but in 2" material it's just right  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

dail_h

My Norwood has a 13 honda,enough except for long 2x hickory
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

woodhick

Dail, is the Norwood a 2 blade edger?

Kevin on your 802 does it use the "spurs "  that look similar to sprockets for the infeed? If so do you have any feeding problems?  I have seen some 802's that have a grooved infeed roller, not sure when that change took place.   Thanks.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Kevin_H.

Mine does not have the "spurs", but I have seen some like that. Ours has the grooved infeed roller.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Ron Wenrich

Rule-of-thumb is 5 hp/blade/inch of wood.  10 hp would be OK for 2 blades doing 4/4 lumber.  2" would be OK with one saw, but you may run into problems with both.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kelvin

The only advantage to gas over electric would be portability.  Staying put?  Use electric!  Lower operating costs.  No hassle with gas and oil.  Always starts.  Way more  torque.  You name it.  You can buy a used 10 hp motor for $50 if you look hard.  How much for a 16 hp gas engine?  Pulleys, centrif. clutch?  Bunch of stuff.  Electric all the way.

dail_h

Woodhick,
   Yeah,2 ten inch split carbide saws. Mine has a shaft loaded wit sprockets for infeed/outfeed,no problems yet,
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Dave Shepard

Our edger uses a 10 hp single phase motor. I believe it has 16" insert blades. I have run some 10/4 elm flitches 18' long through and it had no problems. The feed is probably about 25 fpm, which is Ok if I edge as I mill. Actually it is ok if I save all the edging for last as I have just enough time to stack before I put the next board in. I was tempted to stick a 12/4 oak one-edge through yesterday but chickened out. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JSNH

I run a old Tower 2 blade edger. I power the feed with a 1/2 hp motor and feed about 6 inch per second. The two cutting blades are insert type 1/4" kerf and I power it with a single phase 10 hp motor 44 amps 220 volt. Mostly softwood pine and hemlock go thru it. 1" no problem 2" no problem unless I am running it a bit dull with hemlock.

chrisweir26

I just picked up an old Tower 2 blade edger I will post some pictures soon. Im looking for some info on it and or maybe some parts if you know of any, im not sure i will keep the edger but if i do i want to beable to find parts if it ever was to brake.

JSNH

I would like to find out how old mine is. The ID and S# tags are aliminium so I think 30's.

chrisweir26

Thank You Sponsors!