iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

104 Degrees, Hottest Day of the Year, and............

Started by WDH, August 08, 2007, 08:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Milled some walnut logs this morning.  Thought I would get out early and beat the heat.  It was over 90 by 8:30.  By the time we got done at 11 AM, it was 98.  Looks like its going to be another record high.

Pigman, lemme know if you need any help.  At least if I'm moving furniture, I'll be in the air-conditioning half the time ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Modat22

I look back in time and remember sleeping in front of a fan in a house with the windows closed because my dad was worried about burglars. I don't think I owned anything with A/C in it till I was 18 and bought my first car and even then my dad was trying to talk me out of the A/C option because he said it wasn't worth the 1000.00 add on the price  :D

Now My dad keeps his house A/C on 75 all the time  :D
remember man that thy are dust.

customsawyer

WDH if you get to hot over there you can came over and tail some boards for me. It was a nice cool 103 degrees at the saw mill this afternoon. I only made it till about 2:30 and that was when I finised melting into my boots and said enough of this, loaded up for the house. Don't take near as much time for a man to get all he wants this time of year.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Modat22 on August 09, 2007, 04:04:13 PM
I look back in time and remember sleeping in front of a fan in a house with the windows closed because my dad was worried about burglars. I don't think I owned anything with A/C in it till I was 18 and bought my first car and even then my dad was trying to talk me out of the A/C option because he said it wasn't worth the 1000.00 add on the price :D

Now My dad keeps his house A/C on 75 all the time :D

:D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Patty

We are supposed to see 100° here by Saturday,  just in time for the state  fair.

You gotta love Iowa...100° in August, -20° in January.  ::)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mooseherder

Today was worser  ;D than yesterday.
Pappy, I'm there in spirit. ;)

WDH

Me too, Pappy, and I ain't never been there ;D.

Jake,  If I get all my paperwork finished tomorrow (in the cool air conditioned office), I will surely come tail boards for you ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

WDH. You'll have to come up.
My cabin doesn't have runnin' water but Pappy's Outback does. :D

TexasTimbers

Hey Pappy that 40 and 50 degree nightime temp is actually having a winter during the summer. No way Jose. You need several pairs of thermal socks for that.
i can handle the 70s and even the 60s to a point but 40s and 50s heck that is wintertime.

pappy

kevjay,
40s and 50s ....That's no t-shirt weather,,, when it hovers around 32 now it's time ta get the t-shirts washed cause ya need sumpin ta keep ya warm  ;D

Just ta take ya mind off da heat check out this local IP place,, they keep a web cam going with a ther mo meter in view  ;D least ways ya know there's a place on this planet where there is reasonable temps  ;) :D

http://www.sjv.net/community.htm
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Mooseherder

It's a different kinda 50 kevjay. :D  no really
50 in Florida is FREEZING.  50 in Maine isn't.
Hard to explain. It's a dry cold. :D
Pappy, I was born in dat der place Fort Kent dare. ;)

pigman

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on August 09, 2007, 03:28:45 PM

Pigman, lemme know if you need any help.  At least if I'm moving furniture, I'll be in the air-conditioning half the time ;).

I wonder if it is too late to talk my daughter into studing at the University of Maine. I know they must have bugs in Maine for her to study. ;)   Thanks Dodgy, but most of her furniture is not verry heavy and her big strong Forester boyfriend is supposed to be there helping. ;)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

pappy

Hey Bob,

"I know they must have bugs in Maine for her to study."  Oh ya we guts plenty a dem bugs up here and some I've never seen before  ;D and she has a "Forester boyfriend" well we got plenty trees ta do his thing !!!!!!!!!!  Sounds like a win win ta me .. 8)

Just a side note,,, Swamp Donkey posted over in the  Job Opportunities section for a forester position in NW Maine ( can you say boonies w/ lots a bugs  ;))  for the Huber Corporation... My nephew works for them in the Shin Pond, ME district,, is doing very well with them and likes it loads...

Here's da link...
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=26583.0

Tim the doughnut maker  ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Nancbee

It was 62 when I got into my car at 8:15. It's supposed to get into the high 70's today but a beautiful breeze is blowing through. This is Maine. The way life should be. If only it would stay for the next 6 months...Looking forward to cool September morns and eves.

We had 90's and high humidity for a week about a week ago. That's all of that I can take!
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Mooseherder on August 09, 2007, 09:38:34 PM
It's a different kinda 50 kevjay. :D  no really
50 in Florida is FREEZING.  50 in Maine isn't.
Hard to explain. It's a dry cold. :D
Pappy, I was born in dat der place Fort Kent dare. ;)

You got that right.  Temps in the 40s along the Gulf Coast, panhandle, and Big Bend areas will freeze you right to the bone.  It *is* hard to explain, but I know exactly what you mean.

Fla._Deadheader

First winter Ed dove with me, gathering logs, in Central Florida, he was wearing 2 wetsuits, and came up blue after only 2 hours. Took all night for him to get warmed up again.  ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WDH

Quote from: Nancbee on August 10, 2007, 09:31:16 AM
It was 62 when I got into my car at 8:15. It's supposed to get into the high 70's today but a beautiful breeze is blowing through. This is Maine. The way life should be. If only it would stay for the next 6 months...Looking forward to cool September morns and eves.

We had 90's and high humidity for a week about a week ago. That's all of that I can take!

Here is the Forecast here in Mid-GA today.....

Friday, August 10, 2007...
Today Mostly sunny with a slight chance of showers and storms. Excessive heat warning with highs around 104.
Click For Full Forecast

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TexasTimbers

Yeah we gave all the heat warnings and stuff too. My shop kiln is too hot. I got to cut a hole in the side and vent the heat out of it instead of recirculating it.

DanG

Quote from: Lanier_Lurker on August 10, 2007, 11:22:01 AM

You got that right.  Temps in the 40s along the Gulf Coast, panhandle, and Big Bend areas will freeze you right to the bone.  It *is* hard to explain, but I know exactly what you mean.

I've had visits from some of our Northern members over the last few winters.  I don't get much static out of those folks about our "mild" winters, anymore. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

I was wishing I'd a grabbed my Carhart Blizzard Coat outta the truck before Dee left  ;D ;D :) :)  After the sun went down if it wasn't for the fire in the Dodge wheel I'd a froze  ;D ;) :D 

It's pretty DanG warm here today at 85.  I've only seen it over a 100 once and that was in Imlay city 10 years ago.  The bank thermometer read 103.  The hottest I've ever seen it here at home was 97.  That was actual air temp without any hummugity figured in.  Stay  8) 8) fellas  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

105 degrees was the high.  It was 92 at 10:00 p.m.  Simply awful.  Supposed to cool down to the high 90's next week.

jjmk98k

Ill bet it's hotter here where i am at!!!!

I've seen the thermometer hit 130 already!, and that was IN THE SHADE
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

DanG

I didn't figger we'd be getting much sympathy from you, Jim. ::) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scgargoyle

Greenville, SC (my future home) hit an all-time record 105 Friday afternoon. Maybe I'll build the whole house underground, instead of just the basement....
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

Jim, you have to be in the hottest place in the world right now.

Thank You Sponsors!