iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

landscaping around the mill

Started by lyle niemi, May 03, 2012, 07:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

Trying to dry out the mud with the 850 case dozer on the back side of the mill. Just thought I would take a few pics of zee mud I have to deal with..lol

kelLOGg

Your operation is so big I shoudn't even reply but maybe someone will benefit. I toss weeds from two gardens around my teeeeny log loading area. I make sure some dirt accompanies the weeds to replace that lost by erosion.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

dblair

use to have a bad mud problem but we dug ditches to the low land and that drained it . it takes a year or two to get the water level down but it will work , good luck .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

snowshoveler

How about that...I have been doing the same thing.
Although my vintage T5 international is a far cry from your 850 Case.
I don't have too much mud right now.
Just trying to organize the millyard before I bring the rest of the logs to it.
Keep up the good work you will be a going concern before you know it.
Hope you are feeling better, the weekend in almost here and a barbecue and a frosty beverage is a good thing.
Regards Chris

International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

eastberkshirecustoms

After seeing those photos, I guess I won't complain about my spring mud problems ;). What kind of soil do you have up there? That dark color makes it look like sewer sludge. :)

bugdust

Around these parts we slope grade so the water can have somewhere to go, then start hauling 3"-4" rock then cap with 1"-2". Eventually you'll build a base, but may have to grade your slope periodically. Of course rock is plentiful and cheap but compared to fighting mud all the time.

Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Brucer

This year I've had the Cat 910 stuck up to it's belly pan twice >:(. The water table is about 6" below the surface right now and just as things start to dry out it rains again. Yesterday, just for a little variety, it snowed :(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

redbeard

Maybe you can keep digging and make a log pond.  :D
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

bandmiller2

Railroad ballast and cheese will bind the soil and old codgers respectivly.Seriously if you can haul in some RR ballast,its effective and too large to stick to logs like pea stone or sandy gravel.If you have somewhere to drain the water first, more the better.Of course you can stay off it until dry or frozen,but thats usally not a viable option. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

We have a concrete plant next to us that makes highway barriers.  We have gotten some of their rejects and thrown in the log yard.  We've also gotten some shale to put in the yard.  That has gotten rid of a lot of the mud problem.  But, it keeps coming back to the surface.

We have taken a 16' log, cut a couple of holes in it for the forks, and used our JD 544 loader to act as a mud pusher.  We use that to level off the yard, especially in the fall when you might start to get freezing weather.  You'll bounce your guts out in any ruts that have frozen over.  In the spring, we use it to push bark that has fallen off the logs.

Here's what our log looks like in the spring.  They're from a couple years ago, but its still looks the same, except we have more logs

:

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

lyle niemi

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on May 04, 2012, 07:44:08 AM
We have a concrete plant next to us that makes highway barriers.  We have gotten some of their rejects and thrown in the log yard.  We've also gotten some shale to put in the yard.  That has gotten rid of a lot of the mud problem.  But, it keeps coming back to the surface.

We have taken a 16' log, cut a couple of holes in it for the forks, and used our JD 544 loader to act as a mud pusher.  We use that to level off the yard, especially in the fall when you might start to get freezing weather.  You'll bounce your guts out in any ruts that have frozen over.  In the spring, we use it to push bark that has fallen off the logs.

Here's what our log looks like in the spring.  They're from a couple years ago, but its still looks the same, except we have more logs

:

Thats exactly what I was thinkin, we have a concrete outfit close by, At the end of thier day they clean out the mixers and they got a big pile of it now. It would make a great base. They used to charge 6 bucks a yard a few years back

fuzzybear

When addressing the mud here at our new place we found out that we could not just put rock down. The top soil is only 6" deep followed by 10' of red clay. Every load would eventually sink into the clay and muck. Since we were clearing out 5 ac. of willow, and this stuff takes YEARS to decompose, we wove it into a mat to lay down first. Then the stone was supported and didn't sink into the muck.  We probably lost 4 loads into the muck before we put the mat down, and since, we have built up 2' of rock without loosing any into the muck.
  The rock along with some small drainage ditches cut around the property draining into a small pond, has dropped the water level at least 3' around the house and about 2' everywhere else.  If you give the water somewhere to go it will, and it will dry out a whole lot faster.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

bandmiller2

Muck is not just an agrivation,its like poison to anything with a cutting edge chainsaws included.Its worth spending time and money to reduce it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

so after I worked on my tilt table I took good care of that mud problem. A cat and a hoe makes short work of it 8)

beenthere

Can't tell much from that pic, but what did you do? Just level the mud, or did you build up the area so the water will drain away and not pond up?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lyle niemi

Quote from: beenthere on May 05, 2012, 08:23:30 PM
Can't tell much from that pic, but what did you do? Just level the mud, or did you build up the area so the water will drain away and not pond up?
I dug out the topsoil and got the water to run where its supposed to. Things have dried up alot from the other day

Al_Smith

Well other than let the water out there isn't much you can do with mud .

Oh I do remember the joy of tossing a track in a swampy field . :(

Al_Smith

-and another thing .Trying to work in mud is like walking around with a concrete block tied to your foot .After about an hour or two of that you feel like you've been at it for about three days .

Thank You Sponsors!