iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

my neighbors check with me before they go to the big box store!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 09, 2021, 08:51:48 AM
OG, my dad has several plastic tubs where he keeps all his extra plumbing fittings and valves and various other extra plumbing stuff.  I always look there first before I head to the store.  When I do go to the store I always get extra and put what I don't use in the tubs.  As you say, It's nice to find what you need at home and save a trip.  Mom and dad live walking distance away(I drive the mule).  Someday I will inherit those tubs and It will be up to me to keep the tubs supplied.  I ended up replacing the leaky valve with a shark bite type valve.  I intended to replace hot and cold, but didn't end up replacing the hot.  I rebuilt it with parts from one of the spares from the tubs.  I will of course put the extra shark bite I bought in the tubs.
I used to 'tubs, boxes, crates, large drawers' method for years but it takes SO long to find something. Lately as I get a chance when I am tired, I have smaller drawers available and am sorting more by size and use. I have up to 2-1/2" stuff and the 1/4 and 1/2" stuff gets lost in there. I also try to separate out household plumbing fixtures and parts. It's a never ending task, but paying off in reduced search time.
 Doc, none of my neighbors fix things anymore, if they have a plumbing emergency it is usually me figuring out what they need and digging it up or sending them to Lowes armed with a photo of the item to fetch. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

K-Guy

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 09, 2021, 09:22:49 AMnone of my neighbors fix things anymore, if they have a plumbing emergency it is usually me

Do you make long distance house calls? :D

I'm tired of doing it!!
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

sawguy21

:D I have various bits and pieces but never find what I need until after I return from the  store and the job is completed. I mislaid a rather spendy and hard to find part for the truck which as it turned out I didn't need. Found it when I cleaned the cab out. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: doc henderson on April 09, 2021, 09:10:21 AM
my neighbors check with me before they go to the big box store!

And this is before I finished sorting.  Packed to the gills now.  More stuff on the other side and end of the shop.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Walnut Beast

Nice! Parmesan cheese containers work great

Tacotodd

That looks like my reloading room, except mine's not as neat.
Trying harder everyday.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Walnut Beast on April 09, 2021, 03:05:24 PM
Nice! Parmesan cheese containers work great

Just pop the top and sprinkle out a few screws.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

My daily dumbness does not rise to the level I usually achieve. After sawing all day and going with the customer to cut and drag up 2 last logs to finish the order I noticed the hours on the mill, checked the gas and found it was low so I added a couple gallons from my spare can. A few minutes later in the first or second cut, the engine began to sputter and choke down. After careful analysis I concluded gasoline engines run better when the hose from the gas tank to the engine is actually plugged back in after you refill it. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

Well, isn't that amazing? :D It is a good thing we can laugh and not take ourselves too seriously.

thecfarm

At least that problem did not hurt the wallet!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WDH on April 09, 2021, 07:02:41 AM
Mathematical truths:

For a right triangle a squared +b squared = c squared.  
Areas of a circle pi r squared
Circumference of a circle 2 pi r
10 x 10 = 100
For plumbing 1 trip to Lowes = 3 trips to Lowes
:D
Logs and cookies crack because tangential/radial shrinkage does not equal pi.
One order of sawmill parts isnt enough. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

samandothers

Quote from: thecfarm on April 10, 2021, 05:32:24 AM
At least that problem did not hurt the wallet!!!
Or the body!
OGH,
Cornbread are round like a cast iron skillet around here! :)

Old Greenhorn

Well that may be, but it are square here, we use a 9" square pan. ;D

My turn, I was going to keep this one a secret, but what the heck. The other day I was waiting for a guy to come pick up some mushroom logs and decided to rest my legs for a little bit and sit in the sun for as few minutes. I forget to take breaks from time to time. Any we had one of those 'bag chairs' as we call them by the garage and it is on the way out with a tear in the seat from my son flopping into it last year. I sat down carefully and it held just fine. After a while, the customer showed up and I went to get up without thinking. Well as soon as I leaned forward, the rest of that seat gave way and my butt dropped through the hole quicker than spit. There I am with my legs sticking up into the air and this guy is backing into the other driveway. It took me a minute to get myself extricated. It must have been funny to watch, but nobody saw it, thankfully. Now I gotta find another chair or fix this one. ;D

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

KenMac

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 10, 2021, 08:29:07 AM
Well that may be, but it are square here, we use a 9" square pan. ;D

My turn, I was going to keep this one a secret, but what the heck. The other day I was waiting for a guy to come pick up some mushroom logs and decided to rest my legs for a little bit and sit in the sun for as few minutes. I forget to take breaks from time to time. Any we had one of those 'bag chairs' as we call them by the garage and it is on the way out with a tear in the seat from my son flopping into it last year. I sat down carefully and it held just fine. After a while, the customer showed up and I went to get up without thinking. Well as soon as I leaned forward, the rest of that seat gave way and my butt dropped through the hole quicker than spit. There I am with my legs sticking up into the air and this guy is backing into the other driveway. It took me a minute to get myself extricated. It must have been funny to watch, but nobody saw it, thankfully. Now I gotta find another chair or fix this one. ;D

I'm laughing with you not at you, but that is funny! I can imagine me in  that predicament for sure!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I'd love to have seen a video of that! "Help, help, the chairs got me and won't let me go."

Actually I did make another mistake yesterday that did cost me some money. I was sawing 2X10s and had my SimpleSet set for 2-1/8" drops. When I'd cut a slab or flitch I'd push it on the loading arms and my customer and his helper would stack it in the appropriate pile. They were very neat and organized about it. Sometimes I'd toss a slab on the arms to resaw when it appeared I could salvage another 8'- 2X4 out of it. I'd tossed a slab on the arms and was about 3' in my next cut when they asked me what to do with the slab and I pointed to the appropriate pile and accidentally bumped the up/down toggle with my R hand and of course it started dropping to the next setting. It was enough it stretched/bent and crimped the blade before I got it stopped so I had to back out of the cut and change bands. Not the worst or most embarrassing mistake I've made and won' be the last I am sure.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

I have a chair that that will probably join it soon. ;D

firefighter ontheside

Yesterday I resawed a 1x7 piece of cherry on my bandsaw for a customer.  It seemed to cut ok until I got all the way thru and noticed the cut had strayed terribly.  That's when I realized I hadn't tensioned the blade.  I was surprised it even cut.  I guess I was saved by the thrust bearings.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

;) Forgetting to tension a band before cutting, naw never heard of that..... That's kinda similar to forgetting to shut off the lube dripper at the end of the cut when you need to flip the cant or move a board or two.

terrifictimbersllc

I've also forgotten but remembered before trying to saw that way. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

HemlockKing

Quote from: Nebraska on April 10, 2021, 03:49:39 PM
;) Forgetting to tension a band before cutting, naw never heard of that..... That's kinda similar to forgetting to shut off the lube dripper at the end of the cut when you need to flip the cant or move a board or two.
The other day I put a chain on backwards after i flipped my bar and proceeded to try to cut with it  :D not sure if common but was a first for me. felt dumb
A1

WV Sawmiller

Gee, I am sure glad I have never done that. ::) ::) :-X :D :D :D :D
Howard Green

Magicman

I haven't but I did hear of a guy that intentionally put his on backward because he intended to saw from the underside of the logs.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

:D I had a customer do that then brought the saw in because the new chain wouldn't cut.

WV Sawmiller

I can't remember the guy's name  ::) but I heard about a guy one time who thought his chainsaw had locked/seized up and took it to a friend who had a small engine shop and found the chain brake was on and that was why the chain wouldn't roll. I sure wish I could remember that guys name. ;D
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!