iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to make wavy lumber

Started by pineywoods, April 17, 2021, 12:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

An example of wavy 2X6 syp lumber. WM lt40. Log was 14 inch pine, somewhat dry. previous and subsequent logs cut fine. Nothing wrong with the mill. What changed was just the blade.

Blade facts....045 10 degree acquired used from another sawyer and accidentally put in my stash of newly resharp blades. The attached photo is not a camera illusion, the teeth have a negative rake angle, dull as a froe and zero set. Replaced with a fresh resharp and proceeded to cut normal lumber

Lesson...Don't go tweaking on the mill, change the blade

replaced with a fresh
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

So I take it we shouldn't expect to see the Pineywoods -7° Turbo on the market anytime soon?😁
Too many irons in the fire

terrifictimbersllc

I saw several dozen bladew with negative hook angle like that when we arrived in Liberia the first time. The guy sharpening them while an expert with circular blades didnt have experience with bandsaw blades before. 

He was using a BMS250 that had something wrong with it and that's the way the blades turned out.  We fixed the sharpener and showed them how to sharpen right. 

Those blades went into the trash. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

GAB

@Pineywoods:
Wishing you and yours a Happy Wedding Anniversary tomorrow and hopefully many more to come.
@Percy has an arc over the entrance to his operation that reads Thick and Thin.  Maybe you two should compare notes.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Crossroads

I was milling a 14" pine today too and had the same symptoms for the last three feet of a 16' cut. It started right after a funny shling sound that repeated itself 😳 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

donbj

You may be on to a new market with that! "Wave edge" instead of Live edge. Blade cost would be eliminated as everyone could send you all their used blades to saw this stuff. Test the market!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!