iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacutherm iDry input

Started by schwanee, August 04, 2018, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

Just right, I have been talking to mr.parker over the last couple weeks. He is very good about answering phone calls and returning messages. I was told there currently is an 8 week lead time. I spoke with him yesterday. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Just Right

Thank you.  Yes he is.  He messaged me late last nite.  I was going to try to get off work and go see him today to pick his brain,  but that ain't gonna happen.  My only reservation is about what I have been hearing and or reading is white oak doesn't dry in this type of kiln.  I just wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Just Right on August 22, 2018, 11:56:27 AMMy only reservation is about what I have been hearing and or reading is white oak doesn't dry in this type of kiln.  I just wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth.
Thats an intresting tid bit
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

scsmith42

Quote from: Just Right on August 22, 2018, 11:56:27 AM
Thank you.  Yes he is.  He messaged me late last nite.  I was going to try to get off work and go see him today to pick his brain,  but that ain't gonna happen.  My only reservation is about what I have been hearing and or reading is white oak doesn't dry in this type of kiln.  I just wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth.
That's what Jim told me when we spoke live several weeks back.  WO will dry, but not as quickly as other species.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

White oak is always recalcitrant. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2018, 07:58:39 PM
White oak is always recalcitrant.
Not to mention it just won't behave the way we wish it would when drying.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

So with this hybrid vacuum cycle, do the boards get defects?  I thought vacuum kilns reduced or eliminated defects?  If so why is a weight system offered?  

I wish one of you guys would hurry up and get one so I can pester you with questions.   :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Just Right

Keep your panties on YH.  There is an eight week lead time and only 10 slots left for the year.  Unless the ATL show was a huge hit.  Does the Idry have a weight system or is that another one of their kilns?  Vaccupress maybe?  I tried to figure out the differences in their systems last night.  The Vaccupress is probably out of my price range.  I couldn't find figures on its price.  I figure that a dropped off plug in ready Nyle container kiln is 33K ish or so.  This Idry is 40K.  That isn't that big of a difference,  especially after I 179 it on this years taxes.  Still a lot to learn I'm sure.  I heard an ole wise man say one time. . . . . ."Always taking steps to save steps" . . . . This unit seems to me, might just fit that bill!

Steve did he mention what kind of time frame it did take for WO to dry?  Green to finish?

WDH I believe you mentioned someone on here just bought one.  Has he took delivery yet?  Even if he has I'm sure it is a learning curve and will take some time to get a review out of him.

BusySawyer,  I wouldn't waste your money on one of these.  You don't ever keep walnut long enough to dry! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  There are worse problems than that.  But I did notice the price difference in the two different kilns you mentioned.  If You get really bored,  come on down in about 2 weeks.  We will be doing 55 acres of square bales.

WDH

The Woodyard is buying the demo unit at the Atlanta show. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Just Right

WDH

Yes Sir.  Rick's Forum name on here is The Woodyard.

Just Right

Ya I thought so just didn't know.  That is 30 minutes from me.  Guess I know where I will be making a visit to very soon.

Busysawyer

I asked about the vaccupress and if I remember correctly those start of at 135k and go up from there.  I've been getting rid of green walnut slabs but I'm missing out on a ton of sales not having dry lumber and slabs as well. Everything I advertise is green but a lot of people call hoping I have something dry as well. I need a kiln.

Just Right

I agree Busy.  The ability to dry that quick will keep your turn around time low.  I've bout talked myself into it already.

Busysawyer

Also mr. Parker said they will have a bladder available for the idry in about a month. If I understand correctly  you just fill it with air to add down pressure on the stack.  Think he said it will be about 3k for the bladder.  I like the idea of being able to dry and turn over quickly. Being small and limited on space I think it will help by not having to build a large inventory and store it.

YellowHammer

I had already heard about the bladder weight system, so that's what I was referencing.  

I'm still wondering, if vacuum kilns eliminate drying defects, why is a weight system needed?  Just thinking out load.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Just Right

Gotcha.  The only reason I can think of for the bladder would be for that lil extra effect on flatter boards.  And when you get a board that is warped going in will be flat coming out.

Don P

I can see it reducing or eliminating drying gradient stress problems but wood is still shrinking and squirreling around. If you restrain it until it takes a set I think it would help in any kind of drying.

Glenn1

The bladder will exhibit 8 lbs of downforce per square inch.  Personally, I'd Prefer to not dry my wood without some substantial weight.  A thousand lb. slab that's 4'x4' will only exert  .43 lbs per square inch.  They will probably offer bladders in multiple sizes such as 8' and 12' lengths  to accommodate the length of your stack.  The downside is that will be sold individually.

I spent Wednesday and Thursday and it seems be be very well attended.  Especially today.  I actually walked 10 miles between the two days
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Stephen1

I am trying to understand these vacuum units. I use one up here, (Radial Kiln) but my red oak comes back with stress cracks. 
I like the idea of the ivac unit, complete and ready to go, and with a quick turnaround of product, weather it is mine or a customer. 
I like the idea of being able to schedule customers wood. An in date and an out date. Scheduling would be key..... I can custom cut a log for the customer and have it ready to go in 2 weeks....not 2-3 months
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Some defects that are seen after drying are due to issues with the resource and some are due to sawing issues. The kiln will not cure them.  The wood also shrinks so shrinkage defects can occur, like around a knot.

I saw the kiln at IWF.  They are selling like popcorn.  I am impressed about the turn-key kiln.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

customsawyer

Took a look at the kiln myself and met Jim. Very nice kiln and super nice guy. Just have a problem with this budget thing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Don P

Quote from: Stephen1 on August 25, 2018, 12:43:57 PM
I am trying to understand these vacuum units. I use one up here, (Radial Kiln) but my red oak comes back with stress cracks.
I like the idea of the ivac unit, complete and ready to go, and with a quick turnaround of product, weather it is mine or a customer.
I like the idea of being able to schedule customers wood. An in date and an out date. Scheduling would be key..... I can custom cut a log for the customer and have it ready to go in 2 weeks....not 2-3 months
Stephen, I think it's probably a radio frequency/ vacuum kiln you're using. I've not been around one but have run rf glue presses. There is a ground plate on one face and basically an antenna plate on the other face. Punch the button and it "broadcasts" fm radio through the moisture in the glueline or the wood. The oscillating wave gets the molecules bouncing around which creates heat. In a vacuum where warm breezes don't blow it's another way to get heat energy into the wood.
On another thread we were talking about lightning strikes. Oak would often peg the machine, I'd have to dial it back and cycle a little longer. Anecdotally it is the most frequently hit tree. We figured oak is the best conductor in wood.

Stephen1

Thanks Don, I understand that. 
with the IDry, is it just using vacuum? Or does generate the heat with another heat source?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Be aware that the cost of a kiln for drying lumber (a piece of equipment) can be depreciated in the US (and Canada?) when filing taxes, even though it might look like a building.  This helps lower the cost of the kiln.  Many banks are interested in funding business investments, but you will likely need a business plan.  County extension offices can often help in developing a plan.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!