iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"How much will my timber frame cost?"

Started by Jim_Rogers, March 21, 2015, 10:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

"How much will my timber frame costs?"

I get asked this all the time. And my usual answer is "it depends". It depends on lots and lots of things. (Short answer is I don't know.)

One way to figure it out is to write it all down and total it up.

Well to do that you need to understand what "all" is in order to write it "all" down.

Several years ago, a timber framing contractor friend of mine shared with me an excel template for building a timber frame structure. It can be used for a house, barn, or outbuilding.

It all "depends" on what you want it to be used for.

I worked up this template so that it can be easily printed out onto regular 8 1/2" x 11" paper that most home computer printers use. That way you can take a page with you when you go to a store to get prices. You can write the prices down on the sheet and when you come back to your computer enter them into the spreadsheet.

Each section of each page totals automatically to a summary page at the beginning of the spreadsheet.

Also, with this spreadsheet as you start building and getting "actual costs" which may vary from "estimated costs" the spreadsheet keeps track of these to see "how much" you're running over.

Today at noontime I'm going to host another live session with gotomeeting showing this spreadsheet. This session will be recorded and the recording will be available.

Jim Rogers

PS. If you'd like to receive this spreadsheet send me an email after you have made a donation to the Forestry forum (including a screen shot of the payment) and I'll share the spreadsheet with you, including the video of how to use it.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

I always see these after the event has happened.  Hey Jim, I saw you had a hand in this months issue of the Timber Framers Journal!  Congrats!  (Jim literally had a hand in it!)
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for your kind words about the article. I have yet to receive my copy.

Jim Rogers.

PS. you can get a copy of the video and spreadsheet if you donate to the forum, something, and prove it to me with a screen shot of the donation. The video is too big to email so you'll have to download it from my dropbox site. Just let me know.

woodsteach

Jim,

I just made a donation and sent proof via email.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Jim_Rogers

I'll have to upload the video, now, and send you a download link.
I'll do that and reply to your email.

thanks

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!