iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HOT Today

Started by Magicman, May 24, 2010, 07:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yes, Reply# 792 this morning.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Weather is messed up all over USA...
Here in Pa. we are getting heavy rains almost every day.
I got to keep my box blade on my tractor to fix my driveway
almost every day...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

The north end of the state is pretty much high and dry. Local disaster relief (Rolling Hills Ministries) is gearing up with multiple clean-up crews, portable showers and laundry and a large portable kitchen, all maned by volunteers. We got hit with similar rains a couple of months ago, but with hilly terrain, the flooding wasn't nearly as bad the area around Baton Rouge is encountering.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

elk42

I checked the Amite river gage at Denham Springs and it was down 4.88 ft. in the last
24 hr. http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/shefgraph-wotem2.cfm?sid=85040&d=7&dt=S
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

fishfighter

Quote from: elk42 on August 16, 2016, 09:31:20 AM
I checked the Amite river gage at Denham Springs and it was down 4.88 ft. in the last
24 hr. http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/shefgraph-wotem2.cfm?sid=85040&d=7&dt=S

The problem is that there are other rivers that are backing up. Some places down a lot of rivers are starting to flood. This problem is still growing. :o

fishfighter

Quote from: elk42 on August 16, 2016, 08:56:11 AM
Has anyone got word from fishfighter or others from that area. I know that fishfighter
is on west side of the river.  My iPhone Google map shows all the roads that are closed
and it looks like you can't get in or out of Baton Rouge.

Thanks, I'm good. Was a very close call. Cell phones are very spotty in use. For 4 days, they were useless. All service was out along with land lines.

They just open I12, but I10 is still closed. Very hard to get into or out the city right now.

If one wants to see what is going on, go to www.wafb.com  Local new channel. They do have links there if anyone wants to donate.

Ianab

I know the sort of weather pattern MM is talking about, and I can only imagine what that would do over a large flat area.

Locally we get a bit of rain, but the terrain generally means steep fast flowing rivers to drain the water away. Of course then you get slips / washouts and tough luck for anyone silly enough to live close to one of the larger rivers.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishfighter

Another update on this flooding.

More homes are flooding out due to back water flow further south of Baton Rouge. I had to go to New Orleans yesterday. A drive that normal drive time is a bit over two hours. Due to the flooding and the state installing dams along low spots of the interstate, that drive took over 3 hours. Very stressful day. :(

People in the Baton Rouge area are now getting back to their homes. Unreal seeing piles of house goods rip out of peoples homes at the roadside. If anybody ever saw a flood zone, you know what I'm talking about. Sad to see a life time of what a family has built, lost over night. :(

They calling this a 1,000 year flood event.

Magicman

Grocery stores, etc. here are being depleted of many items that are being sent South for flood victims.  Churches and other organizations are really putting forth an effort to help.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DMcCoy

It finally made the news here as a top story.  That water must be a witches brew of various kinds of chemicals, oils, mud.  I can't imagine how one would clean up.   Add in the heat -ow. 

pineywoods

Yeah, it's hot, but what's worse is the humidity level in a flooded house will be nearly 100 percent. Makes any kind of physical activity rather unpleasant.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

Quote from: fishfighter on August 19, 2016, 07:54:21 AM
Another update on this flooding

They calling this a 1,000 year flood event.

It must be bad. our hearts and prayers certainly are with those effected by the floods there.

However I have heard of one flood that was much worse and we have a promise that wont happen again.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishfighter

There is a lot of help coming in. Problem is, it's such a large area. Half of it is non city/ country folks.

Mold has started growing in many homes. Only takes a few days for that. Biggest thing is to get everything that is wet, out the house ASAP.  There are treatments, but even that takes a long time which puts off rebuilding. It's a catch 22 there.

Both of my kids have been helping out and doing what they can. Just wished I could get out there, but I can't. Had asked my doctor yesterday and that is a big no no. :( I have been driving over the area, dropping bottle water to were ever it is needed. A lot of places have a" boil water order". Problem is, you can't do that in houses that had been flooded.

Just what a mess, but people that had been flooded got out and had and still helping others.

Death toll is at 13. They still going home to home and checking. That is going to take a few more days.

Magicman

I have decided that it is not the heat.  It's the humidity humiliation that really bothers me!!   ;D

fishfighter

MM, it was sure a hot one yesterday here. 105 heat index yesterday till we got rain.

It was one of those days that started falling apart from the start, but got better after spending $4500. DanG riding lawnmower died. Was trying to make the summer with it, but that didn't happen. :( Bought one of those "Bad Boy" zero turns. Why I didn't buy one years ago. Cut my mowing less then half the time. :o

4x4American

Quote from: WDH on August 12, 2016, 04:45:25 PM
95 degrees.  Hot , humid, and nasty.  Going to get worser this week.

Ahem...more worser, please use proper english so that we can understand the information that you're trying to relay!
Boy, back in my day..

Delawhere Jack

Mother nature gave us a head fake up here last week. Seemed like the heat was breaking, dropped from mid 90's to upper 80's. Calls for milling started pouring in... Back in the lower 90's now.  ::) Guess it'll be a while longer til things pick up.

Milled a small job today starting at 3pm, hottest part of the day. Just me and the client's son, a recently "retired" Marine. He mentioned that they drank so much water while in the service that he feels weird not drinking plenty of water all the time. Good advice!

Magicman

Sweat City yesterday and I was making farm repairs, not sawing.  Next week we have sawing scheduled and we will be sawing our shade.  ::)

petefrom bearswamp

Hydrate and stay cool (if possible) my friend
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Banjo picker

I  have two more orders to get out....they haven't brought the logs yet.  One is pretty good size and will take a few days the other I agreed to so long ago I don't remember how much it is.  Heard from him Monday.  I am shutting down till Sept. 15 except for limited night sawing for established customers in a bind after I get those done.  July August and sawing in Mississippi is not fun.  The older I get the more sweat runs in my eyes.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Bruno of NH

We have had a very hot and humid summer so far.
The last 2 days a heat index off 100°.
I have been super busy still.
I'm not complaining about the heat this year as I sawed all winter .
I'm not good in the cold anymore.
At least in this heat my feet don't get cold.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

EOTE

Is it just me? I know it gets hot and humid in the south but unless it hits about 102° and 80% humidity I seem to work fine (as long as its not in the direct sun).  Yeah, I end up hot, sweaty, tired, and smelly but it doesn't really slow me down.  I just set my pace and work.  I take breaks and hydrate usually with some home made ice tea (no sugar) or ice water.  I generally take magnesium supplements during the day to prevent cramps at night.  My first exposure to southern heat was basic training and AIT in Fort Polk, LA when it was known as little Vietnam.  Being from Montana, I had rarely experienced heat above 80° or high humidity.

My point is, yup, its hot and its been this way every summer for eons so why complain about the weather when you know what its going to be?  Suck it up and get the work done.  The reward at the end of the day is a nice refreshing shower and the thought of what you accomplished in spite of the heat.

For you northerners, I grew up in Montana and and the winters were long and cold but you dealt with it.  You walked to school every day barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways  :D just like your dad and at the end of the day you did the same to get home.  A snow day was when it snowed, you got up and went to school, just like all the other days.  When the work was there, you brushed off the snow, chipped off the ice, and did what it took to fire up then engine and get it running smooth.  You drove on packed ice and snow for 6 months because that's what you did, otherwise you got cabin fever so bad that your mind started going bad.  Most winters it never got above 0° F for six to eight wee  ks at a time but everyone knew it and dealt with it.  You still did the work that needed to be done.

So, yup, the weather is going to be what it is and God gives us the grace to deal with it every single day whether it meets our expectations or not.  If you're not experiencing the wonderful weather then you're probably on the brown side of the sod.  That's  not something to smile about.

Today's weather at EOTE:

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Y'all are both crazy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

EOTE

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Thank You Sponsors!