iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Primer bulbs

Started by aquacanis, October 05, 2011, 12:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquacanis

I hate the primer bulbs they put on some saws and other small gas engines.
I find some need 5 pumps and some need 20 pumps before they will start. 
What is wrong with the old fashioned choke?  I'll take it anytime.  I think the biggest
problem starting small engines today is the ethanol in the gas.  Ethanol/storage over time equals water!!  I have been using lots of Stabil and dry gas to eliminate starting problems.
When I do my engines start well. 

beenthere

I just started two engines today that have the primer bulb.
I find them handy to get gas in or near the carb and takes fewer pulls on the cord for a start (but have the "old fashioned" choke feature as well).

And ethanol may be your problem, regardless if you have the primer bulb or just the old choke.

The bulbs do wear out, I've noticed. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

In all the years I've used Stihl FS550 brush saws, I've only busted one primer bulb. And I've cut several hundred acres of brush. I buy mid grade ethanol free. But the mix oil has stabilizer in it if you buy decent stuff. ;D My saws also have a decompression valve, can't wait to here what's wrong with that. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aquacanis

Hey swamp donkey. Nothing wrong with a decompression valve in my humble opinion.
Sure helps on the first pulls on a cold saw. I have just seen too many cheap junk saws with these little primer bulbs that tend to rot out, crack, leak,  and need to be fixed.  Most of the loggers and guys I cut with agree.  The only time we use Stabil is when we approach winter and are going to lay up the saws for Jan, Feb, and March.  Too old to be wading in 3 feet of snow to cut lumber or fire wood.  Should I be using it all the time?  The big time boys do work through the winter however.  Especially if they can get the swamps froze tight.

old 030

all these primer bulbs do is fill the carb with fuel until it's full, then returns excess the the fuel tank, once the primer bulb is filled, a couple more pumps is all thats needed, if you're saw or whatever you're using that has a primer bulb doesn't start after that, you most likely have other issues making for hard starting ::)

Ianab

The primer bulbs are usually on small saws, and are there because the small engine doesn't make much vacuum when you pull it over, so it takes a while to get gas sucked into the carb. On a bigger saw, plenty of suck, three pulls and it's ready to go. Maybe 10 on a little saw. Pump the primer a few times, the carb is now full of gas, and chances are it will start.

QuoteI have just seen too many cheap junk saws

This is the problem, they put them on small cheap junk saws. Either they use cheap materials, and the bulb perishes (alcohol probably makes that worse), or the machine is a piece of rubbish and wasn't going to start no matter how well it was primed  :D

A on decent saw (or whatever) the primer does make them easier to start, especially if you have completely run them dry.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

Quote from: aquacanis on October 05, 2011, 12:24:32 PM
I have been using lots of Stabil and dry gas to eliminate starting problems.

Most "dry gas" is just alcohol of one form or another. It might help a bit of water dissolve back into solution, but it will just compound the other problems that ethanol already causes.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!