iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw maintenance photo

Started by WoodHacker, August 11, 2011, 12:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodHacker

I wanted to share this set of photos.  This is of my Stihl ms-200 rear handle saw used for carving.  It's about 18 months old and is blown clean at the end of every carving session.  Real bar oil only / no canola every used.

As you can see, when I removed the pull cord cover, it's so packed with oily sawdust that one can barely see the coil.   The engine cooling fins were just about as bad but didn't show up in my pics.  It took only a couple of minutes to remove the cover, blow the gunk out, then replace the cover and this may have saved my saw from an early death...

PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY. OFFSITE PHOTOS ARE NOT ALLOWED. YOU CAN REPLACE THIS MESSAGE WITH YOUR FORUM GALLERY PHOTO.
Butch

mad murdock

I went through a similar regimen a month or 2 ago, after having milled a bunch with my saw, I decided to take the recoil cover off, and check things out, ended up blowing the whole saw out with an air nozzle, there was a ton of fine oil soaked "dust" all in the saw, it ran much cooler and better after that.  I am sure that it saved it from potential issues as well.  I will make a point to do it more often when milling, as that seems to be when most of the real fine dust is flying around.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!