iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

used LT40

Started by pacodog, June 18, 2005, 07:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacodog

hey eveyone found used LT 40 with hydralics has 5300 hours but is in good condition could some of you folks give me a ball park of what it would be worth .it is a 94 model with debarker is 5300 hours alot of hours or not the motor is 24 onan.should aguy figure on a new engine before long if so at what price.thanks for info.

Bibbyman

I wouldn't even know where to start without looking at the mill and knowing how it was kept and maintained.

The other day I did find on the Wood-Mizer web site a list of replacement engines w/prices.

Replacement engines for Wood-Mizer mills

As for price ideas,  I'd start by searching Sawmill Exchange or TMS.  They have the largest listings of mills. 

Sawmill Exchange

TMS

Wood-Mizer also offers a mill service package that should be able to put a mill back into top sawing condition.

Wood-Mizer service plans

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

footer

I agree with bibbyman on not knowing without knowing how it was used an maintained, but I have seen some with 2000 hrs that in my opinion belonged in the bone yard, or in need of a major overhaul. It all depends on how it was used and more importantly, MAINTAINED!

isawlogs

I have one that has 5000hrs on it and it has not been opened or does not take oil ... Only thing I ever did to it was change the starter ...
   I have taken good care of this machine ... as far as maintenance goes ... it never did have a indoor place to go so  the sun has taken the shine off of it . 
   It would all boil down to how the previous owner has taken care of the mill if the oil and filters  where changed and the maintenance schedual was kept up I dont see where there could be a problem ... but then again with out seeing the mill it is kinda hard to say .
As far as the money value .. I dont have a clue , never thought of what mine could be worth on the market cause I aint willing to part with it ..  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pacodog

hi everyone went and looked at mill yesterday is in good condition.oil has been changed every 50 hours.he will take 10000.oo is this a good buy or not everything works on the mill.what is normal hours before motor needs replaced. thanks

Bibbyman

That sounds reasonable enough price for a well used but still good shape LT40 HD.

Anything else come with it? 

Blades?   (I'd value at $8/ea used and resharped - $20 new)

Blade maintenance package? (New cost around $2,000.00 - Used I'd say at least $1,000)

Debarker?  ($1,300 new - You'd never find a used one but I'd say $700-1000.00)

Lapsider?

Resaw?

Seat?  (I think they're over $600 new,  probably a couple hundred used)

Those Onan engines of that vintage had a good reputation for running a long time.

One big test is....  Did you see the owner cut good lumber one it?   If so,  he's probably kept it in good order.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

:o :o :o $600.00 for a new seat :o :o

I think I might need to sell mine.  Took if off after the first two weeks.  Thought I would store it in the barn and put it back on when I get old enough that I cant walk that much  ;D

Randy

I bought a 95 LT40 HYD without a debarker a few months back. It has the 24hp Onan. The motor had a problem at 1500 hrs the original owner said and was replaced, under war. it has 6000hrs on the mill, so thats 4500 on that motor. Had to add 1 quart, in 4 days of hard cutting. I payed $10,000, only got a cant hook with it and 1 blade, but we did work out another deal-----I guess--I got the tooth setter, sharpner, 30 blades in good shape, a chainsaw de-barke for $1200---------plus he came and helped me all day(several times) on my first few jobs------that he sent me from old customers----for free---(he retired)---I am Happy. The mill with that many hrs does have some wear in some of the pins etc, but it works great. He made his living with the mill and always treated it good. Good Luck!! Randy

Timo

Don't know much about the woodmizers. The only used one I looked at years ago was going to be rebuilt by woodmizer as part of the deal - this mades sense to me, as a new owner would have trouble getting everything 'trued up'.

However, with small engines (or any engine for that matter) consistent running and good maintenance beat storage and poor maintenance every time. I once read a study done on high milage motorcycles. Most of the bikes had 400,000 plus miles on them; motor bikes typically die at 70,000 to 150,000 miles. The one thing that was the same (all different makes and models) was that the owners had changed the oil very frequently (twice as often as recommended), followed the maintenance schedule, and run the engines consistently.  Just something to keep in mind about older engines.....
Peterson WPF27 with bipedal, dual grapple, 5'6" loader/ offloader

D._Frederick

P.,

If that is the orginal ONAN engine, its living on borrowed time. I would say to deduct the cost of a new engine off of the asking price. Around here, to have an ONAN bored and new valve seat and guides, and the crank worked on, you are approaching a $1000 for a shop over-haul.

Thank You Sponsors!