iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw head dropping on wm.

Started by millwright, February 25, 2012, 04:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwright

I have an LT35, and every once in a while the sawhead will keep on dropping after letting off the switch. This will only happen when it is on manual, when the simple set is in auto it works perfectly. Has anyone else had this problem?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

How olds your mill? I've never had it happen on my LT40. Someone on here will know.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

millwright

Its a 2011 with the 25 hp, This doesnt happen too often but if I dont hit the up on the switch it will go all the way down.

redlaker1

sticking contact in the switch or relay probably...    do you have something to test it with?

though usually when you go to test something like this it wont malfunction

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sounds like the switch is sticking. I don't know about an LT35 but on my LT40, when I do maintenance I take the face plate off where the ignition switch is and grease the contacts where the up and down handle is, on the right side.
If this is different from yours, somebody will answer you that knows,  in a little while.

Nothing to worry about.....just hang loose.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

millwright

The problem is very intermitenet, what I think I have to do is to attatch a meter and leave it hooked up.

Don K

I agree. Check your contacts on the up/down drum switch. Be very careful that you don't short out any of the connections while taking the faceplate off. Could be a little resistance in the axle that the lever is connected too. Check closely for sawdust build up, etc. Good luck and keep us advised. We will get to a solution with you.

I recently had a issue with my up down motor on my LT 40 that was vexing. Through posting here and prompts from members they helped me brainstorm until I found the culprit. Corrosion on a contact strip in the motor head.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

millwright

Thanks for the replys I hope to be sawing tomorrow if we dont get a predicted snowstorm, Ill keep you posted, thanks.

Ohio_Bill

I don't think the standard LT 40 trouble shooting will work on the LT35. I believe the LT35 has joystick controls. Sounds like a call to Woodmizer is in order.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

backwoods sawyer

Not sure if you have the same rotary style of switch as I do. The other day one of the fingers broke off so installed a new switch one out on the job. It came pre greased, I had trouble with it sticking in both the up and down position. It was often enough that it was slowing production down. 

To keep it from running away, I held the handle between two fingers rather than just tapping the switch.

When I brought the mill in, I pulled the switch out and gave  it a good coat of grease on all the moving points and worked the switch for quite a while, the spring on the new one is not pulling it back to the center point and it seems to hang up on the raised edge of the fingers. It will take some time for that to wear in :(
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

that happen to me on a new switch, I just bent the fingers back  some works good now :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

MartyParsons

Hello,
You need to call Wood-Mizer. The brake is not coming on soon enough. WM will get you fixed up.
If you bump up the up down switch does it stop?

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

millwright

Thanks for all the replys. Thanks for the pm Marty, yes it does stop if I hit the up, I will give WM a call.

backwoods sawyer

yesterday i pulled the switch off again and lossened the nut that holds the switch together until it freed the switch up so that it would spring back to center, when i installed the switch it startded sticking again. The hadle was hanging up on one of the mount screws, since there are three screws removing the screw solved the issue.
I hope that you are able to solve your issue as well.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!