Sawing Full Time

Started by Deese, April 14, 2019, 01:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Leigh Family Farm

Good luck to you! Congrats on making the leap! 
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

boonesyard

You know what they say: The harder you work, the luckier you get. Good Luck  smiley_thumbsup
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

fishpharmer

John, with your work ethic, great personality and this forum you will grow a (larger) successful sawmill business! 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

samandothers

Best of luck to you!  May your smile always be present and your great attitude continue.

richhiway

Good Luck. I was self employed for 20 years.Self employment is not for everyone but can be very rewarding. Make sure you pay attention to business matters. Lot's of hard worker are not good businessman, my self included. Find good customers and keep them, know when to say no to the bad ones.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Deese

Thanks everyone. Just arrived back down here on the Alabama coast and made it to my room. Another 165 mile road trip. Setting up at daybreak and sawing some slow growth pine. Not sure which species. I'll take pics tomorrow. My goal is to finish the job by dusk and make it back home tomorrow night. Not sure if it's possible but going to give it my all.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

olcowhand

I always wanted to be my own Boss, but I hate working for pompous, opiniated, lazy, know- nothing Horse's- Axxes :). That cuts me out!
Good Luck, Deese
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Deese

Well, I spent most of the day bucking logs. Lots of logs. Got a few hours towards the end of the day to cut some beams. Back at it tomorrow until this rain moves in. Longleaf Pine. The good stuff. But the sap really wasn't a big problem. I was surprised. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

I am also surprised that the sap didn't gum up your blade?  smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gdaddy01

that is a good view of the pith , nice logs , best of success with your new job .

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: olcowhand on April 17, 2019, 05:55:49 PM
I always wanted to be my own Boss, but I hate working for pompous, opiniated, lazy, know- nothing Horse's- Axxes :). That cuts me out!
Good Luck, Deese
Steve
When my son told me years ago that he wanted to start his own business and work for himself because everyone else were jackasses to work for, I told him that no matter where you work, the boss is always a jackass, when you are self employed it is no different. When I was was self employed I worked on every holiday at least part of the day (taking time out for the family dinner, or opening presents, or 'cake time', then back in the shop). I canceled or postponed family vacations at the last minute because a good client had an emergency. I worked 90 hour weeks often. I finally gave up the business for a reliable salary and health insurance for my family. That worked for me. Others were better than me and made it work for them. I didn't have what it takes, but others do and I give them a lot of credit for pulling it off. Good Luck and God's speed.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Deese

Quote from: Magicman on April 17, 2019, 08:40:35 PM
I am also surprised that the sap didn't gum up your blade?  smiley_headscratch
Well, let me clarify. I keep a spray bottle filled with diesel fuel with me when I'm sawimg. There were times when you could see a patch of resin building on the blade as it was cutting. Easy for the eye to see. A flash of white against the background of the dark metal blade. I just squirt a couple shots of diesel on top and bottom while it's moving through the log and it keeps things flowing. So, Yes...I did have a sap issue but never let it become a problem. I should have been more specific. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

One would have to have sawn Longleaf Pine to really understand just how sappy it is.  I'm sure that there are other species that may be as sappy, but I haven't sawn it yet.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

123maxbars

that's a good size pile of Pine, looks like you will be busy for a while,
good start to going full time 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Deese

The next job I've got lined up is going to be another adventure somewhat like this one...somewhat. But much bigger. Meeting with the landowner on Saturday. Looks like I'll be down here on the coast until Friday night, or early Saturday morning. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

fat olde elf

Great News  !! I have followed your progress since day one...Got really got excited about the Final Four to no avail....
Wait until next year...Go Spartans !!! Congrats on your decision and best of luck.....Fat Olde Elf...
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

boardmaker

John,
Sounds like it's been a great start.  Keep it up.

Woodpecker52

Congrats at this rate someday you will be a big lumber baron.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

DanG

Congrats on making this bold decision while you're still young! Too many of us waited too long to make the leap. Now, a little word of advice: TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!  You have just made your healthy body your most important asset. Get innovative in your log & lumber handling with safety in mind. You do not want to land behind somebody else's desk with a bad back after having been your own boss! ;)

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ladylake

All I'll say is I should have started when I was 25, not 55 as I did.. Best job I've ever had.  Do good work and the work will come to you.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WV Sawmiller

Ladylake,

I suspect you were like me and many others at that stage just starting out in life and you did what you had to do to make a living instead of what you wanted to do. When you got older and the kids were out of school, most of the bills were paid, etc. then you could afford to gamble on something you wanted to do. Not true for all of us but is for many which is why I think you see so many senior citizens as sawmill owning and operating members of this forum now.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 18, 2019, 08:32:59 PMwhich is why I think you see so many senior citizens as sawmill owning and operating members of this forum now.

Holy can 'o worms Batman... :D Some glad I didn't post that!!  :-X
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lawg Dawg

I started at 33 years old!  ;D Never looked back..finished this little table today

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Deese

Full day of sawing ahead. About to head toward jobsite. There's at least 3.5mb still on the ground but most of it will be 4x12 beams so I should finish today. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!