iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found my grandfathers mill!

Started by Wallee, December 28, 2016, 12:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

Didn't get a chance to get any pics today due to being so busy! Today I got the frame work for my new carriage almost complete and by mid afternoon I had to stop and fire up the bandmill to get a custom order of cedar ready to go. My grandfathers friend stopped in to check on my progress and was very pleased with how far I have got and said that everything was looking great! So I was happy to hear this of course, knowing he has 2 mills set up and running! Will get some more pics tomorrow! I am heading out in the morning to look at the detroit! keep your fingers crossed and lets hope this is a good one!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

richhiway

a great story and a great job. Be great to see the boards flying off her.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

carykong

your grandfather lives on and is guiding you, great story

4x4American

Great find Wallee!  Good job, I loved the story and look forward to seeing your progress.   :new_year:
Boy, back in my day..

BigZ La

Glad to hear you found it. Can't imagine the feeling of being able to make a living using something like that that my grandfather would have used to earn a living.

Wallee

Quote from: BigZ La on January 02, 2017, 11:37:33 AM
Glad to hear you found it. Can't imagine the feeling of being able to make a living using something like that that my grandfather would have used to earn a living.
Words can't quite describe it! Pics incoming today. Phone memory was full lol. I remedied that last night!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

DeerMeadowFarm

4x4American

The suspense is killing me!!  lol

Hey Wallee are you still logging?
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Alright here is a end view. We almost there! Concrete was poured today and setting for the log deck to be brought over and for the roller bed bases. Those pipes you see to the right are the bases for where my rollers will sit. 2' deep, 80# of concrete per hole. I will weld angle to the top and bolt my rollers there! More pics to come tomorrow. I had to stop early and go pick up my grandpas old power unit. Ud14 international. Going to try and fire it up tomorrow. She use to pur like a kitten and keep the tail men sweating. Clean oil in her so it's possible I might use it if it starts. For a moment anyways  :D

Gearbox

If you choose to run that unit Idle it on gas a few min to cool down be for shutting down . They were prone to head cracking . Is that U D about 60 HP ?
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Wallee

Quote from: Gearbox on January 04, 2017, 10:02:30 AM
If you choose to run that unit Idle it on gas a few min to cool down be for shutting down . They were prone to head cracking . Is that U D about 60 HP ?
64-78 depending on what online source I have seen. It use to run great. We got it to hit once today. Maybe with a little tomorrow it will pop off. If not I need some leads on a good power unit!

Kbeitz

It helps to take an old oil can and fill it with gas. Take of the air cleaner
and crank it over while squirting some gas in the intake. You can keep
the engine going alone with the oil can it's self.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

A UD-14A is 78hp, not sure what a regular 14 is.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Wallee

Well here is an update! First log went on the mill today with complete success! Here is a pic of me and one of my grandfather's old buddies (the one who has been helping me get this done). I have a video I will post here in a bit!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Well Sir, you have done much work and it looks good.  Your Grandfather would surely have been proud, both of you and what you have accomplished.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

paul case

I am kinda wanting to see a video of it cutting a log?????

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ljohnsaw

Nice!  Been following this for a while.  You sure got it up and running quick!  I take it you got the UD14 going?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Wallee

fishfighter

Nice, but those mills scare me. My grandfather got killed in his sawmill like that. Piece of a blade broke off and hit him in the head. :(

gww

The mill must have been in pretty good shape.  You sure got it put together and running pretty quick.  I always thought circle mills were cool. 
Cheers
gww

Bruno of NH

Can you add some Lexan or some other safety glass product in front of the blade ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DannyLand

I was working the out-feed table on a mill just like that when it hit a 5" cut nail at just the right angle, the blade threw most of the teeth and clips, it was like a grenade going off. Scary stuff but a really cool saw. Thanks for posting. 
Woodland Mills HM126, Hudson debarker, Jonsered 2171, New Holland skid steer, 1955 International Harvester Dump 132

Gearbox

A couple of ideas on safety . One mill I had a old refrigerator shelf between me and the blade . the one I run now has a plastic window . MAKE A RULE that your  off bearer does not reach near the saw past the board splitter . IF anything needs to be removed from this area you do it with a push stick . That may save you from getting hit with a knot that my off bearer tried to balance on a piece of slab . Fell into the saw at the board splitter I tried to move fast still got me in the arm . we looked and never found it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!