iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern project 2019 Date set May 4th

Started by Bruno of NH, February 04, 2019, 02:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Thanks for the route tips.  We are looking forward to using them.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on February 14, 2019, 07:31:10 AM
I have never been on 84 when it was not a parking lot. I have traveled it many different times of day and night.
Quite true, but weighing the options... The section from PA to NY has had some epic jams due the jacknifes that cover both lanes, I sat there for a week one day. But once you get into CT, it is just heavy traffic, seems like all day and night and it gets worse as you turn north toward Hartford. The section up to the Thruway is not statistically too bad, and from there up to Worcesters should be speed limit driving (or better ;D).
 Of course, life is like a box of chocolates. If anybody runs into trouble coming up the Thruway or needs a break, give me a holler. I am just 15 minutes from Exit 19 in Kingston.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

51cub

It looks like at least a few people are good for the 4th. I'll have to put in for the vacation time, we just had a big confusing policy change on vacation time, so whatever date everybody comes up with I'll try for. Once I know I can get the time, I'll make the same offer as last year. I'll stop at Logrite on the way to save shipping. I'll post it when I know. 84 isn't great, but it's opened back up through Waterbury again, so it's better. Or it's just my senses are so dull from driving it every day. Every. Single. Day
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

terrifictimbersllc

I drive all over CT of course and around NY.  You just need to avoid rush hours around certain areas.  

The feature of Google Maps where you can choose what time you are departing or going through an area is very good at predicting delays due to congestion .

Also Apple map on i-phone is very good at predicting travel time and alerting/suggesting alternate routes during travel.

If you're driving in the middle of the night there's nothing wrong with I-95 across the GWB and through the Bronx, unless you break down.  :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

newoodguy78

If you get a date set I'd be interested to help where I could. Wouldn't mind learning more about marketing a definite shortcoming of mine.

Southside

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 15, 2019, 09:22:47 AMthere's nothing wrong with I-95 across the GWB and through the Bronx,

I would rather take my chances walking the length of Floridas Gator Alley in May with tuna strapped to my feet.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside logger on February 17, 2019, 11:07:21 AM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 15, 2019, 09:22:47 AMthere's nothing wrong with I-95 across the GWB and through the Bronx,

I would rather take my chances walking the length of Floridas Gator Alley in May with tuna strapped to my feet.  :D
I am with Southside on this. I have been on the road too many times, won't go back.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

Quote from: Southside logger on February 17, 2019, 11:07:21 AM

I would rather take my chances walking the length of Floridas Gator Alley in May with tuna strapped to my feet.  :D
I am pretty sure thats what he said :)

PAmizerman

I won't be able to make it this year but sure had a good time last year.

Be careful on 84. It is narrow.
Parts of 84 are not all that great.
That is the stretch of road a tractor trailer ran me off of last year. Down into a clump of saplings. Lucky it wasn't 1/4 mile further up the road. Nothing but a solid wall of rock. 
There is no birm on that stretch of 84. Just a couple inch drop off the asphalt onto shail.

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Stephen1

You didn't get to drive that home, I'm guessing.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

PAmizerman

Nope. I had triple A haul it 99 miles then brought a trailer down to haul it the other 100 miles home.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Sixacresand

Considering what I have read in earlier posts, looking like we will go further North and go by Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

69bronco

Quote from: Sixacresand on February 20, 2019, 10:46:58 AM
Considering what I have read in earlier posts, looking like we will go further North and go by Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame.  
Good idea, I'd suggest heading east after to I87 north. It was voted one of Americas scenic highways. Once you get up north aways you can take one of the ferrys across lake Champlain to Vermont. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

terrifictimbersllc

I-87 Exit 28, Rte 74 into Ticonderoga, then north at Maplefields on Rte 9 up about 4 miles north of Crown point, take a right and go across the bridge to Vermont.  

Nice new bridge very scenic, govt does something right once in a while. 

You can see the demo of the old bridge here:  lake champlain bridge demolition
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

Just want to keep this up in the know
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

crowhill

Is the final date set for May 4th at Bruno's?
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Sixacresand

Will we be having Fiddeheads?

Bruno of NH

I'm going to set the Date Saturday May 4th all are welcome
Let's get a good turn out ☺
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

beav

Yeah it sounds like fun. I'll be there if the black flies don't suck me dry during the 1/4 mile slog through knee deep mud season driveway mud to my car.
Just kiddin'....

....I hope

Bruno of NH

Morning folks
Member Curved - wood has offered to come to my place 2 days before the Northern Project to give a class on building a curved shed. 
If you have not seen his book his work is wonderful and an art form.
I will supply the lumber ( if anyone is local I might need some help).
This will be a Great learning and fellow ship opportunity for all.
I have the food covered for the May 4th day.
Some ideas 
Food for the 2 days before
Help sawing the cut list
I might have enough hardware nails ext.
Maybe a travel donation for curved- wood
I have room for camping
This is a wonderful opportunity for us.
Let me know what you all think☺
Bruno

Oliver05262

I'll see how much response you get, Bruno, but we would at least be able to come over a day early, if not for both days. I enjoyed Claude's book, and while I may never create anything nearly as nice as he makes, I am fascinated by his skill and eye for beauty.
  Let us know how we may help make this a great gathering to learn and rekindle friendships. 
See you all in May!!!!!!
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Bruno of NH

See the Curved - wood project thread
Please 

Jeff

I am going to combine the topics. This is actually the same event, so to avoid confusion I'm putting them together
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruno of NH

curved-wood

Here is a little bit of precision about the workshop that I would like to give:
- 2 or 3 days. 
-Build a small garage on the spot at Bruno's place.
-Stick framing
-How to build a curved roof, step by step, tricks to gain time. Much more simpler than it looks.
-For beginners as well as the more experienced.
- Built with all rough wood coming from a portable mill. No plywood.
- Cost for participant: a voluntary contribution for helping to pay the cost of the materials, hardware and if food is supplied.  
- my charge : 0$. Life is good for me 
An experience about sharing. 
 The shape could look similar to the one on the next photo but smaller and without the sculpture beside the door.

May be there are people interested. Need at least 5 persons 

Thank You Sponsors!