iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another build in the planning gathering stages

Started by lowpull, May 15, 2017, 02:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpull

Yep, Im new here, Ive been lurking for a little while. Ive wanted a sawmill for many years.  I go to a lot of industrial auctions and when I see stuff " I Might" be able to use in the future I grab it.  I am 1 tin can away from being a hoarder.
Im in the planning stages still. But here is my shop equipment  CNC plasma cutter, Milling machine , Lathe , Horizontal band saw, Welding machines, cutting torches etc etc.  Im planning on a stout trailer. But it will be mostly manual at first,but since I have the plasma table I plan on cutting plenty of attachment points to weld on before the sides are attached together.  This is a band sawmill and I expect I will have plenty of questions. Now if anybody has stuff they have made and have drawings they want to share I can turn them into dxf drawings for the plasma cutter and then share them on here. Then you can take them to anybody with a plasma table to have them cut out. I think I will add a few details tonight about the build and what I already have for it. But right now Im burning daylight.

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum lowpull.  This should be an interesting build to follow.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

lowpull

So far Ive decided on 3x6 x 3/16 wall rectangular for main beams and cross beams.( a 25ft long stick runs 148.00 locally) 25 ft long.main beam 42 inch cross beams 3 ft apart, with right angle gussets cut on plasma cutter. 6 or 8 leveling jacks. Angle Iron for rails.   Ive got a 20hp kohler and 2 B&S Vanguard 18hp motors. But I also have a Onan Cummins Protec 3 phase generator head 16KW so I need to figure out which way to go on power. Question on powered feed. Does a chain drive on only one side work ok? Or do I need to plan on 2?

bandmiller2

LP welcome, one side chain or cable will work fine. If your planning to use a dragback to pull heavy slabs or boards perhaps dual chain would be better. I used single wire cable on a drum attached to a hydraulic motor on the carriage. Do as much as you can with hydraulics, they are the best helper. Look at as many mills as you can find and pick and choose what you like for your mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!