iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identification

Started by Ikeferg, May 05, 2019, 01:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikeferg

New to the forum! After weeks of research I'm still at a loss.
It came out of GA, and was said to be at least 100 yrs old. Only markings on the mill all begin with S on the castings, pulleys and etc. The mill has a case power unit with it. All of the mill is there and seems to operate as it should by manually rolling the belt drive.
We are hoping to semi restore back to operation for weekend type milling.
There are some parts that need repair, more cosmetic I think than anything.

jimparamedic

At one time each area had there own saw mill. Mainly close to a foundry

moodnacreek

Frick used that 2 drop rods off the reach rod pivot way back. The 2 rachet wheel setworks is a clue. The heavy open dog racks don't look like frick. Could be an assembled sawmill built from others parts.

Ron Wenrich

The mill is out of the South, so I'm thinking more along the lines of a Meadows.  I sawed on a Meadows a long time ago, and I think it was a lot like a Frick.  Miner is another company from the South.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ikeferg

moodnacreek

Frick had a setworks like that. But nothing in Wendel's book shows those open ended tooth dog racks. Old mill id. is a mind teaser to me. I need more time to go into my files.

moodnacreek

Yes it is from the south. A rainy Sunday and I dug through my files and it is a Turner from Statesville North Carolina. The open ended dog racks gave it away. It may be the Turner ball and roller mill. That company also built peanut harvesting machinery. This is shown in C.H.Wendel's  book ' the circular sawmill'. However in W.W. Hartge's  Different makes of mills there is a better photo.

Ikeferg

Thanks!! I don't think I would have ever figured it out... I looked and that's it for sure... Now for the FUN stuff, getting it all back together!!! I took plenty of pictures and measurements before we disassembled, so hopefully it will go back together somewhat easier!!!!!
I'm a little on the perfectionist side, so it may take awhile. It had a flat belt pulley but I'm thinking I want to go to a v-belt style? Anyway thanks again and will post some pics once we get started on the resurrection!!!!!

moodnacreek

Vee belt is so much better in use and the pulleys and belts are much cheaper than a few years back. [yes, China made]. If you have to spend any real money, spend it on the mandrel , that is the heart of the mill and if that is not right, nothing will be. Good luck, have fun and keep F.F. posted.

Thank You Sponsors!