iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire reports U.S. & Canada

Started by sprucebunny, June 06, 2005, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Arsonist Sentenced

Raymond Lee Oyler was sentenced to death June 5 by Judge W. Charles Morgan in Riverside County Superior Court in California.  Oyler was convicted of setting the 2006 Esperanza Fire that killed five Forest Service firefighters.  Family members of the deceased firefighters were allowed to address Oyler before the sentencing.  On March 6, Oyler was convicted of five counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of using an incendiary device.  At that time, the jury asked for the death penalty.  He will be sent to San Quentin Federal Prison to await execution
~Ron

Ron Scott

Forest Service to Receive Nearly $15 Million from Pacific Gas & Electric for Fire Damage

On July 28, the U.S. attorney's office in Sacramento announced that Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) would pay the Forest Service $14.75 million settlement for damages caused by the 1999 Pendola Fire in Yuba County, CA that burned 12,000 acres. The fire started on private land when a rotting tree ignited after it fell onto a PG&E power line. The fire spread onto the Tahoe and Plumas National Forests burning nearly 4,000 acres.  This is the second largest recovery for a wildfire in Forest Service history according to the attorney's office.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Wow, that must burn.  :o

I never heard of anyone getting compensation for woodland fires. The biggest problem is the courts have no idea of value for woodlands. Most of the time the fire would be started by someone without a nickle to his name.  I never would expect compensation for fire from a lightning strike, well fallen tree strike I guess. I guess they will be sure to keep their lines brushed from now on.

On another note, a gas company in northern BC is offering a $1M reward leading to the arrest of a pipeline bomber. Been going on for a few months now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 03, 2009, 08:35:06 PM

On another note, a gas company in northern BC is offering a $1M reward leading to the arrest of a pipeline bomber. Been going on for a few months now.

What has been going on for a few months?  the offering of a $1M, or the pipeline bomber ??   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

The reward offering has been since July, there was a smaller reward for months earlier. The bombings have been going on hit and miss for about a year. It's a new pipeline I think that was constructed near a small community. Someone obviously doesn't like it in their space.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!