iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

103 octane in a chainsaw?

Started by Sawyerfortyish, September 02, 2002, 08:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

I'm trying to get more out of a stock race saw anybody try that 103 octane boost in there gas ?

ADfields

Why dont you stop by the airport and get some avgas?
Andy

Sawyerfortyish

I would but after 9/11 at airports in N.J. security is tight and I dont want to get arested for suspicion of terrorism after all the only ones I want to terrorize is my competetors  :D

CHARLIE

Yeah, I have a visual image of Sawyer40 waltzing onto a National Airport with his chainsaw and asking; "Any y'all know where I kin find some airplane fuel?" :o ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

No problem, Charlie. If he puts a turban, or a Po' Folks table cloth on his head, and talks with a strange accent, they won't suspect a thing. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ADfields

and with no nail file thay will never see a chainsaw, he will do just fine!   :-/

For real now you can drive right up to the gas pump at the privet plane side of the airports still.   I would just give them a call and witch gate you should go to to get a can of avgas.    Or you can get it from your local fuel jober like Shell Texaco and the like.   I would also think a can of Collman white gas would do you some power, I think it's 102 octand and could be even more.   Good luck!
Andy

TJACK

I have never used the octane boost, although I do run nothing but 93.5 in my saws and it works great.  I asked the question to one of the tech guys at Husky.  He said don't have your saw tuned to 87 octane then go running 93.5.  This will cause the saw mixure to be incorrect.  If your saw is a husky, I would recommend calling their technical service.  I personally know these guys and they are more than willing to help with questions.  Just don't mention anything about the warranty.  

TJACK

L. Wakefield

DanG, boy, you probably COULD fly with that thang...lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Gordon

What octane is av gas? Be careful of the melted piston with the higher octane gas. Too much heat for the saw to bear and ka bam.

Gordon

DonT

I was just at my local Arctic cat dealer the sell 110 octane gas in 5 gallon(20L) cans for guys looking to race there sleds.Would this be safe to run in a chainsaw?  DonT

DanG

Avgas comes in ratings up to 140 octane.  The higher the octane rating, the slower the fuel burns. If a low octane gas is used in a high compression engine, it explodes, rather than burning, causing "pinging" or "detonation."  This can cause burned pistons.  Using a higher octane fuel is harmless, except to your wallet. It doesn't give you any more power, per se, it only allows you to utilize more compression without damaging your engine.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sawyerfortyish

Just found out what i'm up against. The guy that i'm trying to beat in a race is using 100 octane gocart race fuel with combustable 2 cycle oil. No wonder I couldn't beat him. His saws scream with this combo of gas and oil .Regular 2 cycle oil does not burn but this oil does you can lite it with a match. my partner found the guy that sells this oil and got talking to him and found out where our competition is getting the gas about 30 miles away at a gas station near a gocart race track. About 200 yards away from where my partners wife works. Were going to mix up some and  try it later today.
     My brother in law works at Newark airport as a mechanic and he told me that av fuel would probabley not be good in a saw  because there is something about the lead in the av fuel that might kill the saw I didn't really understand but anyway now I can level the playing field with this fuel.

Don P

So..can you run any type of fuel?
I think I might have told the story of Jimmy, the go cart, the whip cream can with surgical tubing and the orbital spark plug. He claimed it was quite a ride, if he just could have regulated the nitrous.
Doesn't higher octane allow more advance?

KiwiCharlie

G'day Sawyer40,

Would be interesting to find out what his is revving out to with that mix.  By your description of it screaming, I would have to say its revving far past the max revs for a saw!!  They dont last too long before flying apart.  Maybe he rebuilds it on a regular basis, I dont know!
Cheers,
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Bro. Noble

DonP,

Higher octane would  allow you to advance the ignition more without pinging, but I don't think this would increase the power.  On the old cars and tractors that had levers to 'set the spark'  you retarded the spark to crank (so you didn't bust your arm) then advanced it a little till it warmed up and then advanced it all the way for economy.  If you had a real hard pull, you retarded it a little.

I remember before I ever heard of a timing light, Dad would advance the distributer till the engine pinged in a pull.  He said thats where you got the best milage.  I'd retard it a little when he wasn't around cause I was always putting the old 242 Chevy up against those little flat head V 8's Ford made for ages.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Seth

sawyer40
   stock saw? mix your saw with Maxima K2 at 32:1 on 93 octane more oil less friction good for 1 or 2 hp
 and K&N or Maxflow air filter
and open up your muffler 1.25x the diameter of your exhaust port. What cu.in or cc's is your saw?

Sawyerfortyish

Seth
I have a lot of saws all Stihl at last count 16. Just found some 100 octane gas at a pump not too far away it's use is for gocart races. But with a new two stroke combustable oil I got my hands on it really gives the saw a  kick I mix it 32-1. Im not running this for everyday use just for competition.I mix 50-1 stihl oil for work and never mix the race gas with it.

Thank You Sponsors!