iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heart pine info?

Started by nstringer04, May 02, 2016, 12:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nstringer04

I recently started getting a few pine logs out of the creek. I realized that I know very little about heart pine or sinker pine and thought someone here might be able to enlighten me. None of the logs I get are cut. They have all fallen naturally and been underwater and or sand and mud for what appears to be a very long time, judging by the depth and condition. What are some sure signs that I have a valuable log?  Is there any way of telling the species of pine? Etc. any info would be greatly appreciated.
A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

Magicman

I have sawn some that was so rich with pitch (think fat lighter) that is was virtually impossible to saw.  I had to keep  a continuous flow of water/soap to keep blade buildup to a minimum.  I have no idea what the lumber could be used for or what tools could be used to work it.  It certainly could not be sanded.

The customer said that he was going to bring more, but thankfully did not.

Now if it had been Cypress or most any other species, it would have been different.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cazzhrdwd

Its much easier to saw up north when its cold. It can be sanded when its dried and heated up to 160° that sets the pitch. Makes the most beautiful flooring made.

Only way I saw it when its hot is with .55's
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Magicman

I suspect that we are talking about two very different sawing situations.  Old growth heart SYP is comparable to the log being a solid pine knot.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rob in NC

what kind of pine is heart pine flooring made from?

I know its older virgin growth pine that was used in years past but i find it hard to believe there isnt anymore in existance. I would like to cut some heart pine for my flooring in my home but i cant figure out if i can cut 4/4 boards from the heart i have in these SYP 22" logs or is that a totally different thing?
2012 Lt 35 manual

carykong

I finished my loft with 5/4 syp before planing. This came from trees 75/80 years old. Tight grain with about 10 percent of the planks described with heart pine resin.  Very difficult to plane but results were rewarding.

Magicman

None of which is what the OP is describing.  It is beautiful stuff, but virtually impossible to saw or to work with.

All of my Cabin's original interior walls are paneled with recovered old growth heart pine.  It has a beautiful rich orange color that is very unique.

This is very different stuff than any of the sinker heart pine that I have sawn.

Hiway40frank

Quote from: Rob in NC on May 02, 2016, 08:12:14 PM
what kind of pine is heart pine flooring made from?

I know its older virgin growth pine that was used in years past but i find it hard to believe there isnt anymore in existance. I would like to cut some heart pine for my flooring in my home but i cant figure out if i can cut 4/4 boards from the heart i have in these SYP 22" logs or is that a totally different thing?
This should help from wiki

"Heart Pine refers to the heartwood of the pine tree, which is the non-living center of the tree trunk, while the sapwood is the outer living layer which transports nutrients. The heartwood from the pine tree, heart pine, is preferred by woodworkers and builders over the sapwood,[1] due to its strength, hardness and golden red coloration. The longleaf pine, the source of much of the available heart pine found on the market is considered a high quality timber tree, a well known source for poles, pilings, posts, sawlogs, flooring, plywood, pulpwood and naval stores (tapped for turpentine).

Before the 18th century, in the United States, longleaf pine forests, covered approximately 30-60 million acres along the coastal plain from Virginia's southern tip to eastern Texas. These pine trees, 80 to 120 feet tall, require 100 to 150 years to become full size and can live up to 500 years. An inch of heart pine requires 30 years growth. Due to deforestation and over-harvesting since colonial days, only about 3% of the original Longleaf Pine forest remains.

Currently heart pine for building and woodworking is procured by reclaiming old lumber and recovering logs, felled pre-1900, from rivers

Thank You Sponsors!