iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking at 7 year old Woodmizer LT15

Started by Durf700, February 04, 2020, 02:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durf700

Hello everyone!  I'm new to the forum.  I was hoping to get some advise and help on this used mill I'm looking at.  current owner claims it has around 40 hours on it.  only used to build a shed and then lost interest.  it has been sitting outside for 7 years since new.  only thing covered is the engine.  they are asking for 5,000 dollars for it with power feed option and bed extension. no trailer package.   what concerns should I have on this mill since its been sitting for years?  is it worth the money or should I stay away?  I am scheduled to go look at it tomorrow morning.

thank you for your help!

WV Sawmiller

I'd want to see it run and cut a log or two.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

see if the metal is free or froze up at joints.  WM had a service that will go through a mill and fix and or point out problems if you want.  i am not a WM guy, but hear only good things.  if it were me, i would contact WM for a quote for the same mill new with the same bells and whistles.  it has low hours, and may be fine despite being in the weather, if well lubricated.  see what savings you are getting.  see in person if it looks new or if the use has been "underestimated".  the hours may be correct, but different styles of use, can wear differently.  i can have a drill for years, my brother can ruin one in about an hour.  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Durf700

new price on the LT15 with extension and power feed is around 9,500 plus shipping and tax. thats what is drawing me to this tomorrow.  I really want new but would have to go to a woodland mills or frontier to keep the price the same as this used woodmizer.  what I like about woodmizer is the much heavier frame system and it sounds like resale is a lot better on them.  just nervous of pullys and bearings being in poor shape along with belts.

according to the seller this unit has an 18 HP electric start motor which is bigger than I can get on a new woodland mills or frontier.  they only go up to 14hp.

randy d

Woodmizer has a sale going on right now the lt15 is 7,595 brand new and ready to go.  hope this helps you decide . Randy

firefighter ontheside

I imagine if the engine will run fine, then you're set.  Even if you have to replace the belts, that's easy and fairly cheap.  Many mills live their entire life with just the head covered.  If what you want is an LT15 with extension and power feed, then I think it's a great deal.  If you don't need extension and power feed, then you might consider new instead.  Sometimes I think about getting an extension for my LT15, but then i think about moving really long logs and haven't gotten the extension yet.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Durf700

I think the power feed will be nice. especially if I can stack the previous board while the mill is cutting through the next piece. the track extension will be great for a couple of headers needed for the building I will make for the mill.  it will allow me to drive in with my loader with a 17 or 18' log without fighting the opening of the building.

I could live without the extension though.  but just the power feed is 1195 plus the 7595 for mill then tax and shipping and your still at near 10k

doc henderson

I do not see that you have mentioned the asking price and you do not need to.  just make sure the fact that the "new" is worn off is taken into account.  My mill is outside, but i use it on a regular basis. and keep it lubed and limber.  so i know what i have.  if it has set for 5 years unused, it may have issues with bearings, or pins.  you will bet an idea tom.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

RichTired

As previously mentioned, the LT15 is on sale right now at Woodmizer.  Currently the LT15 with power feed is listed at $8790.00 plus tax and shipping.

If the power feed works and the engine runs and you can successfully cut a few logs this might be a pretty good deal.

But good luck in your sawmill adventures...
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Woodpecker52

Sounds like a good deal to me, It will not be for sale long at this price.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

47sawdust

You will have a much better sense of the mill once you've seen it.Sweat equity is worth a lot.My first mill required a lot of tlc but in the end it cut great lumber.You will have a tremendous advantage in knowing help and parts are only a phone call away. WM support is top notch.Take cash and see what you can come with.
Good luck and welcome.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Durf700

seller wants 5,000 dollars.  when we first spoke sunday he said bring cash and we will talk...  then of course someone called him today and wants to buy it.  so then he calls me and said he will at least hold it for me to see tomorrow but is now wanting 5,000 firm. 

I think the biggest concerns are the bearings if they have just sat for a few years.  he did call me today and said he fired it up. he will be ready to show me how the mill works tomorrow morning and cut a little timber to demonstrate as well.

hopefully everything is good.  if not, I messaged the gentleman that is selling a 3 year old LT15 never even unboxed on hear already.  I am hoping to hear back from him tonight...  its the same distance to either mill.  the one for sale on this site that hasnt been even unboxed would be awesome, but not for the same price as ordered new with warranty.  he wants 8600.

APope

Welcome to the forum!
I really like my Frontier OS31, but I was on a budget as I only cut for myself. I would like to have more power than the 13.5 I have, but it is capable of meeting my requirements. I did purchase an extension. If I continue to mill, I can see where hydraulics are necessary...
I would want to put eyes on the mill in question and cut with it before purchase..
You are going to have to replace wear parts such as bearings no matter the brand. Maintenance is a fact of life. So is knowledge of set up and calibration.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

Durf700

if this woodmizer doesnt work out and the one for sale on this forum I have narrowed it down to a new frontier OS31 or the woodland mills 130max with trailer package and extension.

how do you like your frontier?

Old Greenhorn

Durf, if that used LT15 does not work out (and it is a pretty good price and worth putting a few bucks into) I think that new one will also be a great deal for you. It has been here a while and I am really surprised it hasn't sold. If I had the money, and believe me, I thought about it. hen I have a place that really needs a mill and it would be perfect for them but they are a company and it is not in this years budget....yet. That mill has just the options I would order too, but I have to focus on handling equipment first.
 Whichever way you go, you should come out just fine. Good luck to you.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

A-z farmer

Welcome to the forestry forum Durf700
Good luck with your purchase and your sawdust journey.I see you are from the home of Remington very nice company and area.
Zeke

Durf700

thanks guys for the imput so far.  ya, remington arms is 5 minutes away. alot of family members worked they're entire careers there. some still do.  I just purchased 54 acres of nice woods. 1/2 hardwoods which I am selectively logging and the other half is hemlock.  this is what led me to the sawmill.  the loggers dont want to pay you hardly anything for it around here due to the closest mill to process it.  so unless you sell to people that want the logs for milling its of no value.  I figure I  have a chance to really do well with milling my own hemlock and building some outbuildings for myself, and then I can also sell some to recover the expense of the mill maybe.

i'm exited..  just want to get something that will be reliable.

APope

Quote from: Durf700 on February 04, 2020, 06:03:58 PM
if this woodmizer doesnt work out and the one for sale on this forum I have narrowed it down to a new frontier OS31 or the woodland mills 130max with trailer package and extension.

how do you like your frontier?
I have plans to build a bit and a use for my wood... I would buy it again. I had the cash money and it fits well with my plans. I have 50 acres of mature mixed trees that the local loggers don't want to pay squat for and the means to selectively harvest. I would rather have the Frontier sawmill and a PTO driven logging winch for my tractor than the more expensive sawmill at this time. Retirement is 10 years out and I work a job... we heat with wood so little goes to waste.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

firefighter ontheside

my Biggest concern would have been the motor, but it seems he quelled that concern.  That suggests that he took care of it right the last time he used it.  I love my LT15 and that one will be upgraded compared to mine. I only have 15hp, manual feed and no extension.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Durf700

ya, the seller told me that he had drained the gas out last time it was used. so thats good.  I guess what i'm most nervous about is the drive wheel bearings and stuff that havent scene action in a while. it would be disappointing to get it home, set up and start milling and have a bearing overheat and seize or something..  what do you guys think of the bearings sitting for a few years?

firefighter ontheside

I doubt it's an issue, but you can take the blade off and spin the wheels to see how they are.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Durf700

good advice. I will take off the blade and check for any slop or unwanted resistance.  anything else ?

thanks

richhiway

As long as the motor runs good don't worry about the rest. Woodmizers are pretty basic machinery. They have all the parts and they are simple to repair. That mill will never be worth much less then the 5000 so you can't lose anything but your time and effort. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

firefighter ontheside

You can check the blade guide bearings, but even if they're bad that's not a big deal at all.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

Check it out good, then take the mill home, set it up and saw with it.  The bearings will not have had much weather on them and they are sealed. 

Don't borrow trouble. As others have said the mill is not a complicated machine and repair of anything but the engine is basic mechanics.  The engine is running so basic oil, spark plug, fuel treatment etc should have you ready to saw.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!