iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Texas Drought

Started by Texas Ranger, September 03, 2011, 08:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

TR, There ain't no rhyme or reason to dumb a$$.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

bugdust

My ole submarine buddy from Texas sent me a photo of his new rain gauge. A bottle cap!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Texas Ranger

The bottle cap is out of date, we are using blotter paper, now.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sandhills

Hang in there guys, went through it in 02, what the drought didn't kill the hoppers ate up.  We didn't have the fires though, sure hope you can catch a few good rains, SOON!

Magicman

Where is a good hurricane when you need one?   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodwalker

Quote from: Magicman on September 11, 2011, 06:05:55 PM
Where is a good hurricane when you need one?   :-\

Would take a bad one just to get some rain. 
I'm loosing 2-3 Oaks a day it seams like. Every time I stop and look around more and more of my big oaks are dying. Depressing. 

Magicman

We are also loosing Oaks, and we are not nearly as dry as you are.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tcsmpsi

A hurricane, if it strangely brought 110 mph winds to us as did Rita and Ike, with the ground and trees in the shape they're in....lawd, lawd. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Roxie

This is breaking my heart.  We put a man on the moon, and we can't find a way to get all this flood water from the Northeast to the Southwest?  We don't need a tunnel, we have a railroad.  A railroad tanker can hold up to 33,000 gallons and we have tens of thousands of them.  Why isn't something being done? 

Say when

Radar67

Plenty of abandoned pipelines that could carry the water, just no common sense in the higher ups anymore.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

Anyone have an idea how many gallons of water it would take to help?

A good 2" rain would amount to how many gallons per acre?  Maybe 50,000 gallons?

And would there be an irrigation system already set up to distribute that water?

Just curious.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodwalker

One acre inch is something over 27,000 gallons of water. The Riley Rd. fire just west of here   has burned 22,000 acres, so one inch of rain on the burned area is 594,000,000 gallons at 8.3 pounds per gallon  :P :P(calculator down shifted) is,  ??? ??? well, a bunch.
Ya'll be willing to pay freight? :D :D :D

I haven't come up with anything other than having a couple of wells dug this fall. One to irrigate the garden and yard (we are on a rural water system). Another on a small hay field.

Texas Ranger

Tri County fire now at 85% contained, according to news 2.  Bastrop at 65% contained.  Tri County has now been burning six (6) days, for 28,000 acres.  That has got to be wrong, but what was reported.  A little less than 200 acres an hour.

tcsmpsi

One report I saw referred to the TriCounty fire at 35,000 acres on Saturday.   How much water/rain do you believe it would take to be of any notable benefit?  How much before it would be enough to be able to burn a fire in a woodstove?   10-20 inches, with regular rainfall thereafter?   
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Roxie

I really wasn't thinking about irrigating the entire state.  My thoughts were more along the lines of filling those cattle ponds. 
Say when

Texas Ranger

Michael, I think that would be a start, but, ground waters are so low it will take decades to rebuild the aquifers. Long slow rains to reduce run off is the only salvation, tropical rains would be run off rains and flooding. 

Meanwhile a 4.4 earth quake hit west Texas, seems to be a year for such.

tcsmpsi

That was rather my, 10-20" of rain thinking, as to how it rained....when/if it does.  I am certain there will be extensive foundation problems with buildings, as all the shifting commences when/if water is supplied.  I am concerned about having to add that "if", but, for crying out loud, it begins to make one wonder.  

Certainly, it has been the times for 'waiting for the next shoe to drop'.

Going to be a cold winter if I can't build a fire.   :)

Autocar

After not hearing anything out of your Lt Govenor, I e-mailed the agriculture deptarment over the weekend so far I haven't heard anything out of any deptarment in Texas. To bad I still think it's a great idea that would make Texas flourish.. Bill
Bill

tcsmpsi

Just heard another wildfire sprouted in the county heading toward Onalaska.  Hoping it can be contained.

Heard anything, Don?

Texas Ranger

Sposed to be up around Chita, but, there is one over by Huntsville, as well.  The one by Chita supposedly started by a log truck wreck.

WDH

Uh oh, we have a 25,000 acre tract in that area just north of Skeeter's bar, but I am sure that y'all don't know where Skeeter's is  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodwalker

Folks in my line of work always use bars, beer joints, fishing holes and hunting leases as points of reference.

Woodwalker

Ever wonder what a white bucket truck would look like if it got strafed by a DC10?

He a house fire call, got there, lots of activity, fire about to get into a heavily populated area and the DC10 came in and dropped a load of retardant.   

Brucer

And then there was the novice Forest Service employee that called in a drop and forget that he was in the middle of a drop site :D :D. That was back when retardant was dyed purple.

To quote the old-timer I was working with, "You shoulda seen it. His face was red, his head and shirt was purple, and his pants was brown."
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Texas Ranger

Ah, yes, skeeters, I seem to remember something about that place, but cannot put my finger on it. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!