iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling Saws

Started by StIhL_MaGnUm_1, September 11, 2002, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

Rob
 Sorry I don't know rod ethier. I am tryin to post some pictures but having  problems

Jeff

Seth,

Instructions for posting pictures can be found here.

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1021999910-6825.txt

the path you are using is to your computer. Not to a picture on the internet.

Not sure how Rob saw your picture unless he hacked into your computer. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

I'm pretty sure saw his picture's on another board...but I'm not gonna say which one  ;D

Later Rob...

Hack into someones computer,I barely know how to use one ;D

Seth

Jeff
 Thank you 044 with a 24" Cannon &  034Av Super 24" Cannon

Jeff

Hey, no chaps, no eye protection, no hearing protection that I can see.

10x10 Apen cant 3 cuts 0:07

Right knee to the bone 0.003
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I think I like Kevin's outlook on chainsaws better than the split second sawing of a 10" cant.  Not that sawing little blocks off of a cant might not be fun but Kevin works with these big saws in the air and on the ground.  He's developed a real appreciation for what a saw will do and wears safety equipment from head to foot. It even follows over into his milling operation.

It takes a lot more gumption than I have to stick a big chainsaw into a horizontal tree expecting to get boards out of it.

Not too long ago he was encouraging me to wear ear protection along with several others on the board.  They were right.  When the hearing is gone, it's gone. The same can be said for a leg an arm or a neck.  I think if I were to be using a chainsaw in an attack mode, I would be protected to the hilt like Kevin does.

I guess I miss the importance of a souped up chainsaw.  It seems to me that it is a lot more important to be able to take a tree down dropping it on a dime, leave a flat, short stump and do it with as much safety as precision.  

There is an instance on the board right now where some of the more experienced loggers are concerned about a members chainsaw use.  He will learn something from them if he listens but the real concern is his safety.  Cutting a leaning tree is not only an art that needs to be learned but is seldom done without equipment or ropes available.  It's the thinking part of a "falling' job that intrigues me the most.  The really good guys approach a tree as if it were a chess game.  There are all kinds of stresses they have to recognize, even in a tree that is on the ground.  Loaded limbs and raised trunks and root balls.  

I guess souped up saws may be fun but it just seems to me to be analagus to spinning doughnuts in the street with the family car.

I like the way Kevin approaches saws best.

Seth

Tom
 lumberjack sports is my hobby and chainsaw racing is part of that. those saws in the pic are woods saws not hotsaws.I do have a nother pair of Swede pro chaps on the way form Ohio and usually where them. In's&out's of directional falling
 it to is important to have a sharp saw that cuts fast and enough snort to bore (leaners and frozen stems).

woodbeard

I can't say I'm speaking from much experience, but it is my understanding that the quicker you can make that final cut, the safer you are, especially where leaning stresses are involved. Also if you can make a smaller saw work harder, and cut faster, it seems you might get less fatigued than if you were wrestling with a heavier saw or an underpowered one.
Just a thought,
George

Kevin

Every chainsaw manual has several pages of safety precautions printed in them because of accidents caused from carelessness or from ignorance of just not knowing.
We tend to forget these rules from time to time and must be reminded periodically.
When one person gets hurt with a chainsaw it effects everyone in one way or another.
It`s the resposibiliy of the people that know to educate the ones that don`t .
Get the safety gear and wear it, there are no excuses for not using it.
Once you get cut it`s too late to put the stuff on.

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Nice felling pics Seth,I prefer the Husky protective logger pants instead of chaps

Seth

Rob
 I have never seen the Husky pants nor have I ever ran a Husky saw,The swedepro chaps are full ankle wrap and ul approved. Jeff Sikama can get good deals on them.The same as Stihls chaps but without the logo. Chaps are made so that they fill the tooth when the chain comes in contact with the chap reducing the injury but not always stopping it. The racing chap has a double leg(right) for the higher chain speed with high tooth count sprockets. Seth

Tom

What are chaps made from that will fill the chain.  Does that mean that the chain doesn't stop, it just won't cut because the teeth are filled or does the material actually stall the saw?

What can someone use to protect from kickback?  I know......not letting a saw kick is the best way, but if it did kick, it could take your head off or do a wonderful job of bisecting a juglar vein.  Is there a vest made to protect ones neck?  How hot is this stuff?  Do professionals not wear it because it is uncomfortable?  

I guess the everyday chainsaw operator doesn't own much safety gear because the saw is not their everyday tool.  I trim stubbs from logs for the sawmill and seldom do that. Cutting logs to length and squaring ends is the bulk of my use. If I were to have to split many logs, I suppose chaps would be in order.  I've gotten to where I really like the hardhat/earmufflers that my wife bought for me. Perhaps if I broke down and bought chaps, I would stop long enough to put them on.  It's probably a good idea.

George,
It does make sense to have a saw that is up to the job, but I wonder if a hopped up saw is as important as a dependable one and a feller that knows what he is doing.  I've been told that the hinge is the most important "last cut' and you don't cut it but let it guide the tree.  If you cut the tree loose from the stump before it is totally committed, it will go where the elements send it.  It is more important to commit the tree and then use your exit path.  I hate to get logs with split and misshapened butts on the sawmill too. They cause me lost boards and wasted time as I have to square them to keep from damaging the mill and to make the board stacks even.

I like your profile picture.  :D :D

Kevin

Seth,
Who sets the rules with regard to safety in the hot saw events?
Is there a governing body?

Seth

Kevin,There are many lumberjack associations. But basic rules are eye,hearing protection and chaps usually layered with ballistic nylon. 084 stock woods saw with 42" Cannon bar

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Seth,

I have a couple set's of chaps and a pair of Husky logger pants,I just wanted to buy a pair of the Deluxe pant's.Thanks for the heads up on Jeff I should get another set of chaps anyway the ones I have now are about junk...
Nice 084 how do you like those Cannon bars??
                   Later Rob..

Seth

Rob
 I really like the Cannon pricey but worth it, They have very hard rails and not only is the tip hardened around where the replacable oregon sprocket tip goes but they harden the heels too. I am having a custom belly bar made right know at Cannon $260usd for the hotsaw. Seth

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Seth,

I've been thinking of trying one on my 385 and maybe my 064 where can I get them from?Are'nt the Woodsman Pro's that Baileys sells actually Cannon bars with a different name...

Later Rob....

Kevin

A quick and dirty response.  ;D

What are chaps made from that will fill the chain.
Kevlar.

Does that mean that the chain doesn't stop, it just won't cut because the teeth are filled or does the material
actually stall the saw?
Doesn`t always stop it before the damage is done but it jams up the chain and reduces the damage significantly.

What can someone use to protect from kickback?
Cut with the rear end of the bar and not the tip.
Never allow the top of the tip portion of the bar to come in contact with anything.

Is there a vest made to protect ones neck?  How hot is this stuff?  Do professionals not wear it because it is
uncomfortable?
There is but I think for the most part it is viewed as over kill on the part of the pros.
Saw handling and  inertia brakes are better accident prevention when it comes to kickback.

I guess the everyday chainsaw operator doesn't own much safety gear because the saw is not their everyday tool. Anyone that owns a chainsaw should have the basic safety equipment.

Seth

Rob
 Right Woodsman Pro that Bailey's sell are Cannons with different paint.Madsen's sell Cannon as well.Seth

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Seth,

Thanks that's what I thought.

Kevin,

I'am a everyday  logger that uses my saws to make a living and of course I think that you should all have safety gear I always wear my Logger pants,Peltor helmet system,Husky ProTec logger boots,gloves and yes a vest,I know that all this is'nt very comfortable but it's protection and I also know that the saw will still bite thru whatever you have on just not as bad or severe I should say,I have been cut a few times even with my chaps etc but it only required 30 stitches instead of close to 100 due to my chaps..just my thought's

Later Rob...

woodbeard

Tom, thanx, I think he's the Quaker oats guy's cousin- the one they don't talk about. What I meant was cutting up to the hinge, not thru it. My saws are stock, I don't do a lot of felling, but I think if I did, I wouldn't mind having a little more power in the same package. There are differences between the modifications for racing saws and "bread and butter" felling saws, one is meant to get you through a few logs real quick, and the other is more power, and durability. I think some of the others could describe this better, though. Anyhow I'll probably invest in some protective gear before anything.
George

Kevin

Rob,
It seems to be the general contractor and home owner who neglect the safety wear, every serious logger I know won`t take any chances, there`s enough danger with working in the bush without being properly suited up.

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Now that is the truth...Seth know's all about safety gear he's a sawyer and a good one at that...Seth got any other good pics??
This topic is really active tonight..
                     later Rob..

Seth

Rob
 Thanks I have a few pictures.Here's a shot of my 044 with the muffler opened up 2 half inch ports, runs cooler and 10% gain in performance.The mufflers and carbs are so detuned now with the Epa standards.I run all my saws at 32:1.The only reason the manufacturs claim 50:1 is for the emissions.

TJACK

Rob,

Which chaps do you use and recommend.  The Husky Catalog shows 3 different chaps, Pro Forest Logging Apron Chaps, Pro Forest Woodsman Chaps and Pro Forest Logger Wrap Chaps.  

I have the Pro Forest Logging Apron Chaps I use while cutting firewood.  They seem OK, although I haven't needed to see how well they work, thank god!

Thanks,

TJACK

Thank You Sponsors!