iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Never used Barn find Timberking 1220

Started by sam-tip, June 03, 2020, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Your going to be right in the conversation of the guys doing a total sawmill build 😂. Looks like your doing good👍. Update with the motor?

Durf700

thats great !  you will be ready to go in no time! 

sam-tip

Quote from: Durf700 on June 14, 2020, 08:09:30 PM
thats great !  you will be ready to go in no time!
Motor update
Been spraying cylinders with Kano AeroKroil all weekend. This morning I got the crank shaft to turn 3/4 full turn.  I could not move it yesterday. It sounds really bad.  Gritty grinding noise.  I turn it back and forward and goes further each time.   Let it sit a few more days.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Banjo picker

Sounds promising.....don't rush it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

doc henderson

I am not a mechanic, but if you are, might even consider new rings and a bit of honing.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Durf700

any updates on this refurbish job? 

sam-tip

Got the Harbor Freight motor installed and running.  Need to setup the track so I can align the blade to the track.  New belts, fuel line, guide bearings and battery.

The old motor is brand new inside.  The grinding was not inside. I pulled the heads and cylinder are in great shape.  Drained the oil and inside of plug was in great shape.  The outside of motor is rusty.  The fan blades were full of mouse packings.  Coils need replaced plus a few other parts.

The blade wheels are still parallel.  Will need to spend a day making sure the tracking of the blade is correct and adjust the roller guides. The blade spins and tracks but I did not have enough tension on the blade for it to track correctly.

New motor running.

Timberking 1220

tacks Y

Sam, Did TK tell you how to set up the band? Baker tells you to check band is matched to the bed. Straight edge on bed and straight edge on band (weld on top). 

farmfromkansas

Did the holes match up to the Predator motor?  Let us know how that works out.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

doc henderson

looks like a back up motor or one to sell and offset costs.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sam-tip

TK manual does say check the blade alignment while on the tracks.  Good instruction on what to do in pdf of manual manual. Also watched a bunch of cooks saw videos. Figured take my time and get the blade and guide roller perfect. Did order new cooks guide rollers. Will need to weld them onto the mill when they get here.

Had to use a shaft spacer for the predator motor. 1 inch shaft to 1-1/8 shaft adapter. The mounting holes lined up just right for mounting the engine.
Timberking 1220

Durf700

thats great progress!  update us on the next stage!

Banjo picker

Maybe it should go without saying, but also check your motor alignment with your drive pulley, I have in my hasty to get something going got it "looking pretty good" and not bothering to put a straight edge across them.  That makes for excessive vibrations and belts coming off and prematurely wearing out. Hope it goes well with you.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sam-tip

The mill is cutting wood.

First log.  Nice white oak.  Just a little iron in the log.  But missed it.

https://youtu.be/5c2VUtusq_o

Finishing the last side of the cant.

https://youtu.be/k9wzJs1LzWs
Timberking 1220

Banjo picker

Looks like you got a winner there, and a great deal to boot.  Banjo

cutterboy

YEA!!!! 8)
Good for you! You must feel really good about this project now.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Durf700

great job on getting that mill running and cutting again!  i'm sure the mill is much happier also!

Southside

Great job!!!  You might want to check the tension on your drive belt.  Maybe it's just the camera but it sure seemed to have a lot of fluctuation in it and that will negatively impact band speed, which will affect cut quality.  It's a regular maintenance thing, usually in the 50 hour range.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

TK has a tool for proper drive belt tension.  It does that on the slack side of the drive belt, and some is normal.  it is a spring loaded telescoping force meter.  the belts are heavy duty double wide.

sam-tip

Don't forget this this is a 2007 model of the 1220.  It does not have a spring loaded belt tensioner.  Just the position of the motor.  I do think it could use a tensioner.  The belt is just a single BX88 belt. 91 inches long.   From watching youtube I see the newer mills do have a belt tensioner.  I will have to check with Timberking about tensioner.   I am using a new belt.  Plus I changed out all the fuel hose.  
Timberking 1220

RAYAR

I have noticed with my mill, the more the drive belt is flopping around, the rougher the cut. When the tension is adjusted tight enough so the belt isn't flopping about, I get a much smoother cut (finish). With the drive belt flopping, it's like you have a few teeth with too much set. With your drive belt flopping around, your band speed is fluctuating to the tune of the belt flopping about, which would lead to the blade tension fluctuating in the cut, which would also lead to quicker blade fatigue and failure. A smooth running drive belt means a smooth running band speed which gives a smoother cut.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

sam-tip

Well it has been two years now since pulling out the sawmill.   I just made another upgrade.  Only took me 18 months since getting the parts to put it together.   I have added hydraulic power to the 1220 mill.  Tired of push and cranking the mill.  Now just need a better way to turn the logs.  I have plenty of equipment just not sure which one to use.  Problems.  Here is a video of the upgrade.  Few more tweaks and I think I have it.  Next upgrade is to switch motors.  A friend gave me a 20hp honda to use if I milled some of his logs.   Predator motor is underpowered.

https://youtu.be/sP12MV-2xHw
Timberking 1220

Daburner87

How do you like that harbor freight engine? 
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Magicman

Looks very good and thanks for the update.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!