iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pitch

Started by Hale87, April 08, 2011, 07:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

Switched over to wm blades but have some older ones from when I purchased my used hudson. Sent some of the older ones along to resharp, and he sharpened them but couldn't set the pitch. Should I run them or wait and send them away when I send the other older ones to another sharpening service? Thanks.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

bandmiller2

Hale, I think you mean set which is the amount teeth are bent to the side for clearance.If they sharpened the bands you may have enough set to use them and let the next guy set them, although many services don't set.If you can see the set sighting along the band and it looks like the tooth is set over about half the thickness of the band try them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Yes ,  try them if you can in hardwood which doesn't need as much set.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tom

Here's a diagram that will help you to picture the parts of a tooth.

Set - Sharpen / Sharpen - Set

If you use the search feature and look for  Tooth Configuration, you will find that we have had a lot of conversation on this subject.  Matter of fact, this search will only find a small smattering of them.  Still probably more than you will want to read.  :)

Hale87

Thanks.
I didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't worth it.
When I switched to wm, they bumped me up from .035 to .042, and honestly I don't know the SET. What's your opinion on why they bumped me up? My concern would be the blade life on the 16" band wheels, (metal fatigue) but then again I'm new to all of this.

Thanks.....
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

ladylake

I think your right to be concerned , .35 should have better flex life on 16" wheels compared to .42. I'd try the .42 blades , if they make 5 to 8 sharpenings run them ,if breaking before that try the .35 again.  Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tom

.035 thick bands are thinner and allow you to apply more horsepower to the cutting tip from a small engine, as well as run on a smaller diameter band wheel.  They will cut just fine, but can't be abused, nor pushed as hard as a thicker band.  They don't handle the sand in the bark as good either.    If properly set, they will do as good a job as a thicker band for less money.

.042 is pretty standard for an engine of 20-35 horsepower today.  Few sawyers use the .035 even if they have small engines.  It's something to remember though.  If you are good at a sharpening and setting, you would probably get acceptable life from the .035.

The standard set for a .042 thick band is .021.    The standard set for a .035 thick band used to be .018. 

Most of the .035 thick bands used to be 3/4" tooth spacing too, and the band width was 1". though you could get them in 1 1/4".

Thank You Sponsors!