iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uses for acorns

Started by Bibbyman, September 25, 2002, 01:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Has anyone tried eating acorns?  I think I've read they were a major food source for Native Americans in the woodland area.  

Aren't the acorns from white oaks bitter?  Maybe bitter until after a good freeze?  Look like the deer in our area go out of their way to get black oak acorns.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

I've tried to eat them but never got all the tannin out.

The Red Oaks have more Tannin than the White Oaks.  The White oak acorns are the prefered for food  

How to eat an Acorn #1
How to eat an Acorn #2

Oak Toxicity

Tillaway

Califronia's Indians economy was acorns.  They were the only tribes that fully utilized them.  In other words they perfected getting the tannin out of them.  They still collect and use them, although it is an acquired taste so I've been told. :P

There are bedrock mortars along some of the creeks around here.  Basically they ground them on the same spots until a deep depression was made.  It took thousands of years to rub some as deep as they are.  
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Tom

Thousands of years?  Y'all's akerns must be tough. ;D

Jeff

Ive seen that. They passed these depressions on to each other from generation to generation.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

You`d be depressed too if you had to grind your dinner up on a rock before you could eat it.  :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

Mike's been working for years to bring a number of bur oaks to the stage of producing acorns. Claims that type is edible without leaching. No nuts yet.

Speaking of nuts, the pic of the squirrel on 'how to eat an acorn #1' was indeed something to behold. There was a band not too long ago with the name 'Squirrel nut zippers'. Things that make you go hmm..  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Weekend_Sawyer

Didn't anyone notice that "How to eat an acorn #1" was realy how to eat a squirrel?!! It was hard to miss. AND it did not even mention Squirrel Pot PIE.

I miss Uncle Harrold and I miss his Squirrel Pot Pie too. He would tell me and my brother, "You boys go get me some squirrels and I'll bring back a pot pie" But he said it "Popeye"
He also siad "Bull nozer" for bulldozer and Basset hounds were "Basket hounds". When he had a good hand in poker He would say "Looks like the price of poker is goin up!"

I'm sittin here smiling thinking about Uncle Harrold.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Corley5

I accused a guy I work with of being a squirrel the other day.  I got in his DNR truck to move it out of the shop and there was a shoe box full of acorns on the seat.  After I called him names and we laughed at him, he laughed too, he told us he was taking them home to plant around his deer blinds as they don't have any oaks on their farm.  Good idea 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!