iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for acorns

Started by woodtroll, February 10, 2010, 08:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtroll

I have just been contacted by a landowner looking for acorns.
I am no longer in his area but thought I may get some leads for him.
He wants a lot, 300lbs.
He is in a central region and could use from just about anywhere.
Any thoughts or leads?

Shotgun

There is a potential for moving insect pests.  Might be state regulations to consider.  Just a thought.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

beenthere

Might be that acorns need to be collected soon after they fall?

Any particular brand of acorn?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodtroll

That is what I would have suggested.
Gather in fall plant in late fall, is my opinion.

They can be northern or southern red oak, cherrybark, black, white, bur, swamp white, chinkapin, post...
It is a good site can grow just about anything.

SwampDonkey

Between the squirrels, chipmunks, turkey, bear and deer I would think it would be hard to find any right now unless someone has them stored. In which case most seed centres only store them a short while as they don't remain viable in long storage.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tstex

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 11, 2010, 04:22:34 AM
Between the squirrels, chipmunks, turkey, bear and deer I would think it would be hard to find any right now unless someone has them stored. In which case most seed centres only store them a short while as they don't remain viable in long storage.

As S-donkey states, that would be on big refrigerator.  My brother has a tree-farm and as you stated, gathers in late fall, germinates and plants in late winter/early spring in containers...good point about the pests inside the seeds to consider.

Finally, red-oaks here in TX are a dime-a-dozen, even in 25gal+ containers...reason being, they have "O" resistance to many pathogens...i would stick with whatever is proven most resistant in your area - cultural diversification is going to be KEY for all future forests.

Regards,
tstex

Brian Beauchamp

Where exactly is he located?

Thank You Sponsors!