iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson vs Lucas

Started by 1953greg, February 03, 2005, 12:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZJake

J D When you say wind up then wind down and wheels, does this mean the Lucas is now fitted with a stearing mechanism and chain? I noticed at Aus timber that they had included apposing rollers at the end of the bed like the Peterson mill. I thought that it was weird, as they did not have the winding means at that time. You'd have to push the centre unit up hill while holding the bed back somehow? I guess maybe they've finally added the sizing wheel, am I right?

Welcome aboard, nice to see another swinger around.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Hokiemill

Welcome aboard J.D. and thanks for the input.  Jake, I think what he's saying isn't what you're thinking.  I believe JD is talking about leaving the saw carriage on the rails, put the jockey wheels on, raise the rails and carriage up to a high level, drive the truck bed under the rails and carriage, then drop the rails until the wheels contact the truck bed.  I guess I'd have to try it out first because it seems like some wrestling to do in order to get the carriage off the rails (limited room to move around in the bed of a truck) before you lift the empty rails up high enough to drive out.  If it works, it'll be a good technique for loading up at the cutting site, but I probably wouldn't use it at my house to load the mill - I don't want to set up the rails in order to load the saw carriage - usually easier to find a friend and push like heck.

JD, tell us more about your setup and attach pictures - lots of pictures ;D

J D in AUS

Hokemill
                  You got it in one!
    Fla.- Deadheader  Started about 1973? with a forrest mill 2 blader  with VW motor, good  mill once  It (the mill) taugh you how to use it
NZ JAKE  Hokemill Got about right, he will soon work out the rest  ;)  :) :D
    plenty pic but no can post  :(       J D in sunny QLD

Swing_blade_Andy

JD

I used to do something similar with the Lucas but I soon learned to get that lad on the ground ASAP.

I attached a lifting chain from the trailer ramps to the Frame lifting winches and wind it up that all important meter so that loading the Power head was a simple mater of walking forward. Doing it lis way the frame gave the ramps stability when they were in the air.

Saved my back and my boiler from pushing that laddie up the ramp. It took a few wet days doing it by my self until I figured out the easier way to do it.

I can't remember how many times I asked Lucas to design set of loading wheels..

Andrew

Fla._Deadheader

Ed and I went to see a fella do some sawing with a Lucas, today.

Let's just say, that, some guys should not be allowed to own or use tools  ::) ::)

He has it set up permanent. It is about 150' from the log yard. He drags 1 log at a time, behind his pick-up. There is a ditch formed from dragging logs in the same track. Right now, it has about 10" of water and sandy mud in the ditch. He then rolls the log UPHILL to the bunks. He does not use notches in the bunks. He says they are worn out, and he skims them with the blade occasionally.  ::) ::) ::)

There is lumber piles stacked all around the mill. He carries slabs and everything away from the mill.

He then cranks the mill end a little higher on the far end. That way, when you let go of the push-bar, the saw "drifts" toward him and makes it easier to pull.  :o :o :o ::) ::)

The log will rock a little, especially when the blade has "several" hours between sharpenings.  ::) ::) ::)  I checked it, while he was shoveling a truck load of sawdust. The teeth would NEVER cut you.  :o ::) ::) ::)

He finally made a few cuts, and the blade would bind. Instead of carrying a few shims in his pocket, to prop the board UP, away from the blade, he push-pulled the sawhead several times, in the same area, trimming material from the board side of the cut, with each pass, until the head pushed easily to the far end of the track.

He says that flat sawing the boards is easier. Is it not better to do the boards "on edge" rather than flatways ???  He does mostly 2 X 8's and 2 X 10's. ??????

He says, yer gonna LOVE this, Them knots are hard to cut and keep the board flat.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

We had to leave.  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Timo

Let's just say, that, some guys should not be allowed to own or use tools  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

That might just be me - First 10 minutes with the new Peterson WPF? Hit nail on edge (lengthwise) and striped off all 6 teeth ("thats a funny sound..."). I was amazed that the mill still finished the cut!

On the loading issue - I tried to load the cutting head into my truck single handedly :o :o. Lets just say I am half way through building a trailer with a suitably low deck!
Peterson WPF27 with bipedal, dual grapple, 5'6" loader/ offloader

Captain

Geez Harold, glad it was not one of OUR owners.. ::)..although I am sure we have more than a few like that....

CAPTAIN

Fla._Deadheader

I'da took some pitchers, but, dit'n wanna embarrass the guy, without his knowledge. ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

osmar

someone could help me to build a swingblade?

sigidi

osmar, there is a thread on the forum at the moment of some lads who are building or have built their own swingmills - it has heaps of very good info - take a look at it.
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!