iDRY Vacuum Kilns

VHS tapes - conversion to still pictures

Started by woodbowl, September 06, 2005, 01:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

I am ready to take a picture of my TV set unless I get some good advice on how to transfer moving images from VHS to digital!  ::) ::) ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DouginUtah

Here, I can take a VHS tape to Sam's Club and they will convert it to DVD. However, I haven't done it, and I think is is sort of spendy. Just saw the sign when dropping off digital pictures for printing.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

woodbowl

Quote from: DouginUtah on September 06, 2005, 03:09:39 PM

I think is is sort of spendy.

Yea........... ;D..... >:( Uhh................that's the part that bothers me. I would like to know if someone has already taken a still shot directy from the TV screen and the link to view it's quality.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Jeff

I have a video capture card in my computer where I can hook a cable connection right to the card from either the cable T.V., or a VCR. The card came with software for watching television on your computer (also vhs tapes) the software includes still captures and also video capture in .wav format. Uncompressed video. You need a huge hard drive if you are going to mess with video as you gotta have room to work

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_goplus.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Mine is kinda what Jeff has, except it is a stand alone unit that I can use on any puter with USB2.
Anything that has a cable or A/V out I can feed into the puter. My unit also has an annt. for FM radio and broadcast TV.

As anything there are different grades of these and a cheap one with out the TV tuner can be had for well under $50.
I would have to check my model # and make when I get home, but mine was in the $150 range before rebates and such.

Taking a pic of a standard TV don't work really good unless you have special filters or use a real slow shutter speed to blur the pic.
The camera tends to "freeze" the lines as they are scanned onto the screen. If you have an LCD screen it should work better.
I have done it with a standard TV, but the pic is really low grade.

Edit: Mine is the WinTV-PVR-USB2
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html

SwampDonkey

Wallyworld also has VHS to DVD recorders for under $150 bucks. I don't know what a pack of DVD's costs. There are so many different formats.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

I just paid a bit over $18 for a 50 pack of Sony DVDR+ on sale.
Watch for sales and a DVDR in bulk costs less then 40 cents each.