iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spiked treatment

Started by Sawyerfortyish, February 03, 2004, 03:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

I was talking to a guy on the phone today that has a treatment for oak fence posts to keep them from rotting from ground contact. He says it,s a sort of nail that is treated and when you drive it in the middle of a post spreads the treatment throughout the post. The company that makes this guarantees a post treated with there nail for 60 yrs  :o in the ground. The only setback is this nail costs 6.50. I,m going to get a sample just to find out about it. Has anyone else heard about this ?

Tom

NO, but I have heard of a bridge for sale cheap in New York City. :D

etat

I have read about spikes used in exterior beams  such as bridge timbers, I believe..  I think they were pressure treated or creasoted, and then the spikes or rods added.   I would imagine a hole would have to be drilled to accomidate them.  I also believe they are made of borax or boric acid, or maybe a combination of both.  I believe the idea was that as the wood gets wet the borates would leach through the wood thus protecting it from rot.  I treated all the exterior lumber on my house with a borate solution before putting it up.  As borates are said to leach from the wood over a period of time I imagine that sometime in the future I will retreat the wood. (Yellow Poplar) and add more waterproofing.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

shopteacher

I know the electric company periodically drills holes in their poles and insert a glass tube of chemical at about ground level.  I don't know what the composition of the solution is, but that glass tube is hard on the saw blades.  Their sneaky too, they put a wood plug in on top of the tube to camouflage it from sawyers. :D
  Never heard of any spike though, except that she dog Butch used to pine over. Always dressed in black leather.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

etat

Ok, so it's a boron rod, not a spike. ;D  Anyway, I have no idea if they can live  up to their claims or not.  ::) ::) ::) It was just some information  I ran across when I was getting ready to treat the siding for my house.   :) :) ::)

http://www.sasco.ns.ca/impel-info.htm
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Kevin_H.

I've hit some tubes like shop teacher was talking about, but the ones we have sawed into was made of aluminum (sp) and we went right through them.

we would find two or three in a big pole, also pluged with a wooden dowel.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Fla._Deadheader

Down here, the Power Co. puts a termite treatment in the Aluminum tubes. Don'T know about the glass ones ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

FDH: The guy down buying the tubes probably owns a sawmill. :D :D :D  I don't know if they still use glass here either nowadays, but I've run into quite a few in the buts of the old cedar poles.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

DR_Buck

$6.50 plus you supply the post dosen't sound like a good deal to me.  I buy 8 ft treated fence posts at the co-op for about $5.00 each.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

billbobtlh

Here is a link to an article about wood rot. Boron glycol mixes should be a great solution to lots of wood rot problems.
Antifreze may also prevent staining of milled logs.
Those spikes a way overpriced.
http://boatbuilding.com/content/rot.html

Sawyerfortyish

For a fence post 6.50 + the cost of the post is too much but if it were a pole in a pole barn and the treatment held up to it's claims then that not so bad .
 I rebuilt a fence for a horse farm a few years back. The posts were treated when installed new and had a 35year guarantee. Some of the lables were still attached to the bottom of the post when I pulled them out. After only 7 yrs in the ground more than  300 had rotted at ground level or the top of the post where it had been cut off had rotted from the inside out. Just how good is the guarantee they give you for the post ? 300 posts x 7.00 =2100 is it worth taking a company to court to make good on there guarantee. Probably cost more than you get out of it. So what do you do short of using Locust or cedar If you can get it. You try the best treatment you can find and hope it works.

Thank You Sponsors!