iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peanuts

Started by Tom, December 11, 2009, 02:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I have a big can of Salted Peanuts sitting here next to me that would have lasted about 2 days, once upon a time.  These are well onto a week.  I don't know if it's the nuts, or me, but they are tasteless.  It's just a salty, crunchy nodule that I keep poping into my mouth.  I guess it's a good thing because I don't need the calories, but I have always liked peanuts so much.  These are Cosco's brand, Kirkland, and the little words say Virginia variety, roasted and salted.  I've eaten oak sawdust with more flavor.

I don't think it's my age, or the loss of tastebuds.  I still like food.  As a matter of fact, I had some fried shrimp last night that were delicious and some sausage and eggs this morning that would be hard to beat anywhere.

Do you reckon that where the peanuts are grown would make a difference?   Or, maybe, how they were put up?

I love oysters, but I know that they can be rendored tasteless by washing them after they've been shucked.  Oysters on the half shell that have had a stream of city water streamed over them, washing out all of the salt sea-water and "Juice", are hardly fit for consumption.  Maybe peanuts are like that too.  :-\

SwampDonkey

Tom, have you tried unsalted? I try to find the unsalted kind. I also buy the unaltered peanut butter, no sugar added, peanut oil left in it and not replaced by palm oil or something and no salt added.  Nice to dip bread into. 8)

The sour dough bread is nothing to rave over. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

D Hagens

Me thinks your nuts Tom. :D

I find the same thing with salted nuts, only salted nuts though. Mainly when we (she) buys them in bulk they develop a funny taste after roughly a week.
Also when we (she) buys trail mix the nuts always have a near sour taste to them. When I buy trail mix I buy it all individually and make it myself and it tastes way better.
My brother says that the bad taste of salted nuts comes from being cooked in bad oil and the nut sucks up the flavor of of anything around it.

LeeB

Peanuts are foul, dasterdly, horrid things and I don't know how anybody could put one in their mouth.  Can you tell I don't like peanuts? I like all other types but peanuts make me ill just to smell them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ohsoloco

I find that the cans of mixed nuts seem to taste rather bland.  They all taste the same to me...probably because they're all covered in the same oil. 

My favorite kind of peanuts are the raw ones that you can buy in the grocery store.  Put them in the oven until they're blistered, and put some salt to 'em.  None better  :)

Tom

Yeah, I've eaten unsalted nuts.  They aren't too bad, just not the same tastes I've become accustomed.  Goobers.  Goober Peas.  I love Peanuts.  ;D 

Rather, I love peanuts that taste the way I remember them tasting.

These Kirklands are actually not salted as much as other nuts I've eaten.

SwampDonkey

The unsalted have a short shelf life to. On the ones I buy, they are stamped for a month or so expiry.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PlicketyCat

Weird you should mention it... I got a can of Costco/Kirkland lightly salted roast almonds last month and they were completely flavorless.  But the bag of pistachios were fine.  I wonder if they let the cans sit too long, use different oil/salt or roasting, or if processing them for the vacuum-pack cans makes funky?  We've got a big can of mixed nuts (no peanuts) and a small can of peanuts that I mixed together (always too many peanuts in the mixed ones)... they didn't taste weird, but they were Mr. Peanut not the bargain brand.
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde

Follow our adventures at Off-Grid in Alaska blog.

WDH

Like SD, I have gone to the unsalted peanuts.  They are my go-to snack.  They have great peanut taste without all the unnecessary salt. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Try bulkfoods.com for nuts and such. great prices.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pappy19

To me, the very best nuts at Costco are the "Marcona" Almonds, grown in Spain, roasted and seasoned with sea salt. My wifer likes the Costco cashews, but I am hooked on those Marcona Almonds.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Slabs

Quote from: LeeB on December 11, 2009, 06:43:28 PM
Peanuts are foul, dasterdly, horrid things and I don't know how anybody could put one in their mouth.  Can you tell I don't like peanuts? I like all other types but peanuts make me ill just to smell them.

I've never heard anything like that.

As an old ex-peanut farmer and glutton on them, I still eat them almost every day in one variety or other-redskins, dry roasted, party or roasted.  Of course they are washed down with one of the products of the descendants of Eberhard Anheuser and Adolphus Busch.

Tom, Is the Planters brand available to you?   It's one of the better quailty nuts.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

LeeB

Funny thing is, I loved them as a kid. Now quite honestly, they make me queasy just to smell of them. Give me some cashews or pistachios and I'll make a total pig of myself.

Magicman

Most of my peanut eating is the "butter" varity.  If I eat crackers with anything.....I'll finish it off with 1/2 dozen crackers n peanut butter.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!