iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pacific NW Travels

Started by Magicman, July 19, 2014, 08:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

Lynn, it was a pleasure and a privilege to meet you and Pat.

I'm surprised you didn't get a picture of the hill you had to drive up to get to our place -- it had your name on it :D :D,
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

I was too busy giving 'er gas.  I missed the name, but it was either up or down......steeply.   :D

After we left Bruce we traveled South following the Columbia River.  We camped at Hood River and crossed the river and headed South toward Eugene, Or.  We did not go West and missed visiting with @mad murdock.   :-\
We got a nice view of Mt. Hood, but there was no place to pull off and take a picture.

The closer view did not show the entire mountain plus clouds had moved in.   :-\

We chose to travel on Forest Service road 42 which was many miles of sometimes only one vehicle wide.  The scenery was beautiful.  It took us to Detroit, Or.

I had never seen "Cow Pie" on a restaurant menu before so I ordered it.  Cut potatoes with browned burger, corn, mashed potatoes, and gravy.  It was quite good.

Yes, that is a 1957 T-Bird in perfect condition.  :)

We camped in Paradise and that picture of the river was taken from inside of the camper.

The sound of the water was good sleeping music.  There were also several Redwood trees there,

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Where is @Burlkraft when you need him?

This Redwood burl was amazing.

Sadly thieves had sawed 5 burls off of this treasure.

There is no way to get enough of admiring these giants.

Maybe @Tamiam needs to get Kevin to upsize the Logrite fetching arch ???

This is supposedly the largest Redwood Tree.

Pat measured and said that it would fit on the LT264.   ;D

Another view of the Redwoods.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

The Forestry Forum hat and a Red T Shirt at the Pacific Ocean.  (Tribute to Tom)

Magicman

QuoteTahoe holds a special memory for us because our oldest Daughter made the 100 mile bicycle ride in ~2007 for the Lymphoma Foundation.  She had to raise over $1000 to be able to participate and we were there to watch her ride and cross that 100 mile finish line.  smiley_thumbsup

So this picture of Lake Tahoe is for Donna.  Pat sent her the picture and she was thrilled, but said that that (Tom) ride was a "once in a lifetime" experience for her.

This was our third time to travel Route 50 from Carson City East across Nevada.  For a Mississippi boy accustomed to seeing trees, it is a long drive and there are no trees.

It is labeled as the loneliest highway in Nevada and deserves the title.

Southeasterly across Utah tomorrow. 

mad murdock

Great travelog Magicman. Nice pics. You have been privileged to be able to see some extremely choice country. We will meet around the board sometime, I am sure of it. Thanks for sharing your travels with us!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bill Gaiche

Great photos MM. I have photos of us when we were at that same tree a week ago past Sunday. Don't those trees make you seem small? bg

ashes

Looks like you two had an amazing trip! Well Done!

redprospector

Quote from: ashes on October 02, 2014, 12:23:23 AM
Looks like you two had an amazing trip! Well Done!
He ain't home yet.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Magicman

Any trip across Utah means seeing red rocks and cliffs.

And yesterday was no exception.

Something different around every turn.

Every park seems to have a "Chimney Rock".

Magicman

Today was Mesa Verde.  We have passed this National Park several times but never took the time to visit.

Cliff dwellings from a distance.

Maybe ceremonial?

Tunnels connecting the "circles".

Up close nd personal.

Santa Fe tomorrow.   :)

WmFritz

There are so many beautiful photo's, I can't pick one single favorite.
It's a scenic 'overload'.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

Great pictures and a great trip, thanks for lettings ride along too Magic.  Could those circles at Mesa Verde been for water storage? They look like they run down hill from one another, guess it wouldn't explain the odd shapes in the bottom though.

Magicman

We started this morning with our coldest temperature at 27°.  Our destination for today was Santa Fe, NM, and to meet our friend......

@Burlkraft, except he had no idea whatsoever that we were coming.  He looked up, saw me, saw the FF hat, and then Pat. :)  We had a very wonderful visit.  His life is good and the smile was genuine.  We really enjoyed the visit, Steve.

We visited the "square" where the Native Indians lay out their wares on blankets.  :)

That Green Sauce on the left is what Atomic Bombs are made of.   :o
We have visited Santa Fe many times, but had never seen the Spiral Staircase at the:  Loretto Chapel 

NOTE:  The Loretto Chapel link above has some interesting history.  Here is a link to:  Pictures

We head toward Amarillo tomorrow.

beenthere

Glad to see you caught up with him.   8)

When you mentioned going to SantaFe, I wondered if you would be seeing Steve. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

Quote from: beenthere on October 04, 2014, 09:54:17 PM
Glad to see you caught up with him.   8)

When you mentioned going to SantaFe, I wondered if you would be seeing Steve. smiley_thumbsup

Surprise visits are the best.

That chapel is breathtaking... sounds like that green chile was too!  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Mooseherder

Great pictures. :)
Nice to see Steve also.  Time for him to update his member map. :D
That place you were at sells Poston Cheese.  Said so on the wall!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Great pics Lynn. Glad Steve is doing fine.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 05, 2014, 09:39:24 AM
Great pictures. :)
Nice to see Steve also.  Time for him to update is member map. :D
That place you were at sells Poston Cheese.  Said so on the wall!

Just now saw that Glenn.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Burlkraft

Glad to see you finally got into the chapel. It was a huge surprise and a wonderful one for sure to see you guys. The pics from the trip are amazing. It seems like a great trip even though it cost a pig roast and elk hunting trip.
Lynn and Pat have been the first members that I have seen in quite some time. It was great to see you and it was made even better that it was a total surprise. My work at the butcher shop is about done and I have another job as well........I'm getting paid to turn wood!!!
The new job is at dc10audio. Very high end speakers. I turn the horns for the speakers.
Great to see you guys. I hope you have a safe trip back.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

After our traditional stop at the Big Texan in Amarillo, we slept in our own bed last night.

Prime Rib is a favorite of mine.

Some things that you see while traveling are just too funny.

Like this horse hitched up to a Handicap Sign at a gas station.

Trivia:  We traveled over 4K miles and averaged exactly 12.0 MPG.  The highest gas price was in California @ $4.10 per gal. and the lowest was in New Mexico @ $2.97.  I did not worry about Canadian gas prices.  I just bought it when needed and kept going.  The worst highways were in Louisiana and the best were everywhere else.  The coldest was 27° in Colorado.  We had only one day of rain and we were traveling that day.  We traveled into twelve states and two Canadian Provinces.  We visited with six FF members.  The residents most proud of their state were in Texas.  The least likely to look you in the eye and speak to you were in California.  The biggest "beauty surprise" was Oregon.  If I had a sawmill in Nevada, I would still be looking for my first log to saw.  I have absolutely no idea how much money that we spent.  When I speak, folks ask if I am from Texas.  In Texas, they ask if I am from Louisiana.  People "not from Mississippi" talk funny.   :)

All of my sawmill blades came back from Resharp while I was gone.  I got three cell calls for sawing while I was traveling, (one while visiting with @blackfoot griz) and the phone has already rung once this morning.  I told him Thursday.

I should be unloading the camper, but I am sipping on a cup of coffee instead.

Bill Gaiche

Glad you had a great trip MM and Pat. When we were in Victoria about 3 weeks ago, gas was $5.20 per gal. The highest I saw in the states was in Needles and it was $4.10. Didn't buy any of that stuff. I bought gas in Barttlesville, ok Saturday and it was $2.839 per gal. Wish it would stay at that price. bg

terrifictimbersllc

Very rewarding to follow your trip.  Many pleasant memories stirred.  Can I ask how much your camper weighs? My F350 has a lot of good miles on it yet hopefully.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

~2000 lbs. loaded & with water.  It was too heavy for the Toyota Tundra which is why I had to replace the axle bearings.  I have air bags which do not increase the carrying capacity, but they do level it up.  I am about ½" above the overload springs. 

Traveling mode.

With the top cranked up.

NOTE:  This last picture was taken in Colorado in 2012.  I only added it here to show the camper popped up.  Pat and I did not tow a trailer on our PNW trip.

Compensation

Nice pictures. Looks fun.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Thank You Sponsors!