iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

DO dumb things, win dumb prizes. I did it bigtime today, well I started doing it two weeks ago, but I got the big finale today for my effort.
 I have been madly trying to get this new to me trailer ready for my first show of the season (tomorrow). I installed new wiring, a battery, switches, gauges, etc about two weeks ago to handle lights, USB charging at shows and other stuff. When I put that all in, I put an inline fuse at the positive terminal strip, about 12' from the battery. I did not have one to put on right at the battery and I knew I should have one right at the source, but figured I'd pick one up on my next shopping trip and stick it in. I forgot. Everything worked just fine, I kept moving on and got it all done. Today I did my final packing and tying down. All looked good, quite fine in fact. I was happy and just dressing things up. One of the things I wanted to do was screw a pool noodle on the side door header because I kept whacking my noggin' on it and dang, it hurts! So I ran a few screws in and had trouble with the cheap foam, the screws would cut right through I had to try a few times. I caught an odd smell while I was getting frustrated and thought somebody was burning plastic trash. I looked around, found nothing, kept working, smelled it stronger, then noticed white smoke rolling out of the top of the front wall inside the trailer. Not good. Of course the battery is buried under some stuff I have strapped in. I glance at the meters and they are blank, not power on them. I quickly unstrap and start removing the gear and finally get to the battery and removed the positive feed. Damage was done, oh BOY was damage done. That positive feed from the breakout box to my terminal strips was absolutely fried right through. Yeah, in case you haven't figured teat out yet, I ran one of the 'noodle screws' right through that wire causing a direct short. So I puled and cut out all the melted part I could get to and dead ran a fresh new wire and fix a few other wires that got damaged. Took about an hour and a lot of contortions. Everything works, all hoked back up. I will get an inline fuse and install it at my earliest opportunity. Man that was stupid, still is until I fix it right. I almost burned the whole trailer, and all my stock, to the ground. Glad that Styrofoam insulation is not flammable.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

RetiredTech

Now that sounds like something I would do. ffcheesy
Glad the trailer and your stock survived.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Texas Ranger

I drove a sheet rock screw though a 110 volt romex, shocking experience. One wire in an 8 foot wall.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Old Greenhorn

I hate romex. Call me an old fart or whatever, but I like BX in walls, I know it's a PITA to work with, takes longer, and costs more, but it makes  it hard for idiots like me the screw up. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Tom, that's just bad luck.  What are the odds?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on Today at 10:37:49 AMTom, that's just bad luck.  What are the odds?
With his luck, or lack there of, the odds are pretty good.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

aigheadish

Whoa, nuts! Glad you figured it out quickly! It's not common for me to screw stuff to walls with maybe power behind them but when I think about it it's always nerve wracking. I have a wall in my shop that needs some covering and I should remember to take a picture of where the power is first... 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

I try to have a standard (if only to me} and put wired going across a wall at the same height so I can avoid this.  you can put the metal cover over wood to stop penetration, but in a thin wall you may hit it between supports.  I have weather-proof 12v breakers on my dc stuff.  some are resettable and others cool off and reset.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!