iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS400 C-M First Impression

Started by Dave12, November 03, 2021, 12:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave12

As I mentioned in another post I ordered a MS400 C-M back in April.  I had pretty much written it off when much to my surprise I got a call from the dealer yesterday to say that it was in.  I got it out for a spin this morning felling and bucking some dead ash in the 6-12+ inch size range using a 20" Stihl light bar.

I have to say I'm very pleased and impressed.  I also have a MS462 C-M and MS362 C-M.  The MS400 is going to replace the MS362 which I find to be a bit of a disappointment compared to the MS462.  I know there is a 12cc difference between the 2 but I've used other 60cc saws and I just found the MS362 to be lacking in power and acceleration.  Back to the MS400....I found it to cut every bit as good as my MS462 in that wood.  I'm sure in bigger stuff the MS462s extra power would show through but the MS400 wasn't lacking anything like the MS362 would. If my MS462 got dull I really didn't like to have to use the MS362 to keep going.  It was more of an emergency back up rather than a second saw.  The MS400 is definitely a very capable second saw and may even become by #1 saw.  The MS400 is very well balanced with the 20" light bar.  It's a cut all day and not get tired set up in my opinion.  

So if you're in the market and the MS400 has been on your radar I would recommend it without hesitation.  I would even go so far to say you could save yourself some coin and go with a MS400 over a MS462 and be quite happy with it.

Dave
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

YellowHammer

smiley_thumbsup
Glad to hear it met your expectations.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

johnsayen

Ehp talked me into one and I am excited to try it out. 

HemlockKing

Good to hear it's working out, although I like
My ms362!  
A1

lxskllr

I like my 362 also, but I've never run another 60cc saw to compare it to. It was my first pro saw, and probably the best fit at the time. Knowing what I know now, the 400 would probably be better, but it wasn't available then.

Thank You Sponsors!