iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1998 Husqvarna 268xp cylinder/piston replacement

Started by mickeymoose, March 18, 2024, 05:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeymoose

This saw may need a cylinder and piston. That being said I think it's a 50mm closed port cylinder?  I cant find any part number literature to verify this. I haven't torn it down yet working on another saw. Will the 272xp bolt on without any modifications? Searching around I'm not seeing many closed port cylinders. Has anybody messed with a 268xp?

Spike60

Your hunch is correct. 272 kit is a direct bolt on with no changes needed. BUT.....if your 268 has a metal brake handle, you will not be able to use a deco in the cylinder. The metal brake won't allow it to pop out. No big deal, as you're used to it not being there.

You will find 50mm cylinders in both OEM and aftermarket listing. Theses are all open port, non-xp kits that were used on the 268K cut off saw and the non xp 268 that was added to the line up when the 272 came out. The original closed port 268xp top end has been NLA for a good while now.

Looking at the title, if your saw is a 1998, then it should actually be the non XP open port saw. Still no problem with the 272 swap.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Spike, what are your thoughts on closed verses open port saws?  Where there any other differences in the 268 vs 268XP?  Pros and Cons?

ADDED:  I was reading some past posts on this topic of the 268 vs 268xp and see that Spike has mentioned before the closed port having more torque.  And the XP version of the 268 being a better performer.  

mickeymoose

Thank you. Spike, yesterday contacted Husqvarna through a web chat and was told my saw was a model year 1998. My serial # tag is black and reads "Husqvarna 268 8160501 Husqvarna Sweden" It does have the metal brake and both the top cowl and side recoil cowl have the XP labeling and also a "professional" sticker on the side. Husqvarna is suppose to get back to me to double check year and cylinder part number. It would be nice to get a parts list for this saw.

Spike60

Have to disagree with the chat person, who was likely not even born when the saw was made.  Metal brake handle was long gone by '98. As were the XP decals. I think your saw is an '88.  ffsmiley

Couple other things to look for. Do you have the small starter decal? About 1 inch square in the middle of the starter vs the larger size decal as still used on the 372 and 395? Are the smaller plastic parts such as the trigger, fuel caps, choke lever, and handle wrap black or gray? They were black up until about 1989 when the 300th anniversary models came out. 

Be wary of what part number this person comes up with. As I stated the actual 268xp top end is long gone. They may provide you with the 268 open port number which would be less desirable than a 272 kit. 

Dave; the open port vs closed port debate is over rated and over stated. Closed is preferred, but the difference is not all that great. Especially in situations like this when we're talking different top ends on essentially the same saw. I think the bad rep is partly due to comparing pro saws to less expensive home owner saws and then painting all open port saws with the same brush.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

mickeymoose

Yes the tag on side is about 1 inch square and yes oil and gas caps are black. This is why when I was on the chat I asked the woman to verify my model year in a follow-up email. Have yet to hear back from them. Looking on e-bay for a manual I see none with 268xp printed on the cover. I see lots of 268 manuals. I'm not sure how many parts are different between the two. I too initially thought it was an 1988 and I bet your right.

DHansen

mickeymoose

If I can salvage my cylinder by lightly honing because its not easily replaced (being its closed port). Are there aftermarket pistons that will work with my cylinder. If so what do you recommend. I don't actually have the saw torn down but I did tear it down 15 years ago. I remember some vertical lines on cylinder wall which I tried to clean up with muriatic acid. I do see pistons advertised for 268xp saws but is the piston different for a closed port cylinder? I did give it a compression test today with a rubber tipped snap on gauge. 130 psi. Any input would be appreciated.

Spike60

If the piston is listed for a 268XP it is for a closed port as all 268xp's are indeed closed port. It is the same piston that is used on the 266xp and Jonsered 670. 50mm. Pretty common and easy to find. Plenty of aftermarket options out there. Dukes saw salvage has some nice ones that I have used. 

The piston for the open port 268 is a different item that you don't want for your XP. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

mickeymoose

Thank you Spike, While cleaning up the 268xp I can see the plastic pieces have month and year stamped on the inside. 02/1988. By the way Husqvarna never bothered getting back to me.. Just went to Dukes website and they list the 268xp piston as being for an open port? Pulled the cylinder off no grooving but some vertical wear patterns. Checked ring gap .030. I'll try and post some picks. Will the Meteor PC1646b piston work? Any aftermarket part # would be appreciated.

Spike60

I can't decode that meteor number. I'll try and post the OEM number later this afternoon.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Spike60

OEM part number fof that piston is 501 659 403. In the aftermarket world, it could be either the earlier full skirt style, or the later half skirt design. They are fully interchangeable. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

mickeymoose

eBay has two I think will work. Meteor using the 501659403 in its description also with a part number on the box pc1646b. Listed as windowed and looks like the one I removed. The other is listed as lil red barn pop up piston also utilizing the 501659403 in description with box part # HUSQ-268 50mm. Meteor made in Italy and other says, Not made in China or Taiwan in its description? I'm not sure where its made.. Leaning towards the Meteor.

Thank You Sponsors!