iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello all/used LT40

Started by Ocklawahaboy, January 09, 2013, 09:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

Been looking at mills for about ten years now.  I've been going back and forth between a cheap mill such as Hudson and the woodmizers.  Finally got some coin together and have wood that needs cutting so it was time to take the plunge.  The choice was made when I found a well used but solid LT40 manual for a little less than a new Oscar 328.  After years of loading up logs and paying people to mill them I'm looking forward to reversing things. 

I'm looking forward to picking everyones brain as I learn my way around the mizer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

OBoy, I will never remember how to spell your name, much less say it.  :)

Welcome to the Forum. You'll love it here.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Congratulations on the LT40, Ocklawahaboy, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mmartone

Thats what I did, bought a used and custom modified lt40... I have made 2 whole logs into lumber... I guess thats how it starts. Where in fl?
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Ocklawahaboy

I'm near the Ocala national forest.  About 2 miles from the ocklawaha river, hence the screen name.  Near silver springs.

crosscut

congratulations  :) 0n the mill. Had mine for a year now and still lovin it.Have you called woodmizer and registered it yet? they are really helpfull with mine to get the mill history. Really nice company to deal with.

clww

Best luck with the new mill and welcome to the Forestry Forum, too. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ocklawahaboy

No, the previous owner gave me his owner card though.  I ran down about an hour and a quarter south from my house and made the deal today after work but the trailer lights were out so I couldn't tow it home.  I'm headed back Saturday to fix them and get it back here.  We ran it and checked all the moving parts and it all seemed really smooth.  Hour meter read 202 but it looked like it had more use than that.  I've spent about 15 hours total around hydraulic lt40s but didn't have any experience with a manual.  I feel like I have appropriately lowered expectations so I felt like I couldn't go wrong.  Can't wait to make sawdust.   

thecfarm

Ocklawahaboy,welcome to the forum. Now you have the mill,what's the plan for it,sawing for others,a little, a lot? What's all the lumber being used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ocklawahaboy

I have cedar logs and river recovery cypress I hope to make a nice wet bar set up from.  Also have a friend with about 2 acres of pines he wants to get rid of.  I hope to find some knotty ones that I can use to panel the room.  I haven't gone to see them yet.  My wife wants an end grain wood floor in one of the bedrooms so I was thinking of trying to figure a way to use the mill to make tree cookies.  As for working for others, I want to practice some first, learn my mill etc. I have an uncle that turns so I might start cutting some blanks for him.

thecfarm

Seem like there was a thread a few weeks back on cutting cookies on a mill.
Edit on a few weeks,more like a month now.

And here it is

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62603.0.html

Don't be afraid to start another one when you get ready to saw the cookies.If you do want to save it,go up to kinda the top and click onto Add Bookmark,that will add it to your bookmarks under Profile.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ocklawahaboy

I guess is should also add that I plan on spending a lot on having blades sharpened.  The river recovered cypress is apt to be pretty sandy inside.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2013, 11:07:09 PM
Seem like there was a thread a few weeks back on cutting cookies on a mill.

Ahhhhh found one from December that was very helpful.  I may look for an old one or start a new thread in the woodworking forum to get advice on actually turning them into a floor.  I have some basic ideas.

Jasperfield

Congratulations in reference to the sawmill.

We're generally pretty happy as long as we're learning new things.

steamsawyer

Hey Ocklawahaboy,

Nice to meet you. You are in a nice neighborhood. I have some good friends  that have a little week end retreat up your way, between lake Bryant and Wells Pond a few miles south of SR 40. I'd like to stop by and visit sometime when I'm on my way to Gainsville.

I personally can't help much with your band mill problems, ;) but you are in good hands here.... Welcome aboard.
                 8) 8) 8) 8)

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: steamsawyer on January 09, 2013, 11:26:12 PM
Hey Ocklawahaboy,

Nice to meet you. You are in a nice neighborhood. I have some good friends  that have a little week end retreat up your way, between lake Bryant and Wells Pond a few miles south of SR 40. I

Alan
Levy hammock road.  I frequent that area too.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. When cutting those sinker logs most of the sand and dirt will be in the outer layers. I use one blade on the outer edges of the log then when it is squared up I switch to a fresh blade. I then put the old blade back on for the next log and square it up.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to The Forum Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) I reckon you done good on the mill getting a WM for that price being manual there is alot less to worry about to and they will still knock out some timber  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris  8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

slider

After a while you may want to add a sharpener and setter.It sure beat's sending blades back and forth.I have a cooks setup that i'm well pleased with.And welcome by the way.  al
al glenn

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ocklawahaboy!

There's a wealth of information here, and lots of good people!

Congratulations on your mill purchase.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trapper

Welcome to the forum.  Spent a couple weeks a year in your area when my inlaws were alive.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bogue Chitto

Welcome, and sounds like you made a good deal.

Thank You Sponsors!